• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Decent Junker Scope?

Stinger78

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2012
Hey guys seeking advice. Here’s my question/dilemma. I’ve got a GAP Gladius on order that I should be taking possession of in the next month or two. I’m wanting to put a shorty scope on it and looking at all the usual suspects that everyone is talking about right now. Problem is, it’ll be early summer at BEST before any of these scopes will come to the market. I, like most would like to see some reviews before pulling the trigger on a $3k scope. Any suggestions on a cheapy scope to get me through until what I want comes along? I doubt I’ll be able to leave that rifle in the case for a few months while I wait

Check out the classifieds and find a good deal on a used scope, use it until you find what you really want and sell it for little loss - that would be my recommendation. A great scope with decent glass that is budget price and is "short" would be the Bushnell DMR II 3.5-21x50, I like shorter scopes on shorter rifles but more preference, if you don't mind a bigger scope then look at the deals on the 5-25's like the Nightforce ATACR F1 5-25, S&B PMII 5-25, Kahles K624i and if your lucky a Vortex AMG. If you don't need all the magnification then look at the Nightforce ATACR F1 4-16x42 or the multiple 3-15 options out, if you can find a used Tangent Theta 315M you may never want another scope. I honestly think used would be your best option and allow you the most return on your investment when you sell it.

A used DMR, ERS, SWFA 3-15 or XTRII would likely do well enough until your more expensive, 'preferred' optic may become available, and would likely amount to a near net-zero purchase and resale.

The Athlon BTR Talos 4-14x44 is good value if you can put up with extremely 'mushy' clicks. Glass and reticle are impressive at the price point. That said I'd look for a used Bushnell 3-12 or 4.5-18x44 LRHS/LRTS - They give up very little to the alpha gear but can be found significantly cheaper and are worth keeping/moving on to another rifle once you pull the trigger on the newer design

Last edited:
Haha, now that's funny.. Only on the Hide does a guy ask for a Junker scope and people recommend Nightforce, S&B, and Kahles, down to the 1k scopes Bushnell, Burris, SWFA.

Man, when I think junker scope, I'm like Millet, Mueller and Tasco. Or that $350 Athlon.. :)
I inferred "junker" to mean something he's not going to pay $3500 for, not to mean that he was going to put a $79 BSA on his GAP Gladius. But I may be wrong and maybe the OP really wants a cheap scope for his awesome rifle...

Another thought OP, you mentioned these short scopes won't be out until Summer; however, the Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 is already available from some of the Hide vendors. Might be a good fit for your Gladius if it all works out...

Reactions: Birddog6424
I inferred "junker" to mean something he's not going to pay $3500 for, not to mean that he was going to put a $79 BSA on his GAP Gladius. But I may be wrong and maybe the OP really wants a cheap scope for his awesome rifle...

No BSA’s for me. That would have to be in violation of some law somewhere

Get a 10x Bushnell Elite. Excellent scope, not even considering the price point. I see them on the EE for less than 200 when they come up.

Super Sniper fixed 6x or 10X...does everything you need and you won't be selling it when you buy the scope you want

Reactions: PFG
Look at Acme, made in the same place as Athlon it’s like $299 or so, it’s only MOA right now, but easily keeps pace alongside the $800 ones out there

Super cheap, I will be posting on them soon
You're kidding, someone actually used the name "Acme" for their company name :LOL:

1517963412677.png

Probably the best budget scope it there is still the SWFA SS 10x42. It is $300 and tracks true. Optical performance is quit good for the money as well.

Generally, you should define the price range.

Reactions: Bender

Genuinely curious. Sure they look to have a bunch of knockoffs but are they really knock offs if they come from the same factory just with a different sticker? A 9.99 red dot where as the bsa counterpart is 80. I may buy one just to put it on the daisy pellet gun just for the hell of it

Its been posted a few times... SWFA 10X. Non HD model runs under $300. Wait around for tax time, and there is usually a sale at SWFA that might make it even cheaper.

I'm in the same boat for my RPR. I took the LRHS off (for my CTR), and want something reliable without breaking the bank. SWFA it is...

Genuinely curious. Sure they look to have a bunch of knockoffs but are they really knock offs if they come from the same factory just with a different sticker? A 9.99 red dot where as the bsa counterpart is 80. I may buy one just to put it on the daisy pellet gun just for the hell of it

Many brands enforce for certain amount of QC when working with the OEMs. Knockoffs often do not. That is how some people get fairly consistent product from some OEMs, while others do not.

On the other hand, some smaller companies actually have better QC than well known brands. They just take less profit, so it really varies.

QC is a big differentiator though.

ILya

Reactions: spife7980
SWFA fixed 12. Great holdover option until you get the good stuff. I keep one around to test or as a place holder.

Another vote for the SWFA SS fixed 10X or 12X. Its great for the money and a great backup scope to have around. I've used several different SWFA models and they are overall great scopes.

Lower end Athlon scopes aren't bad either, you can find plenty of people satisfied with Athlon. I bought one of their mid-range 1-4x for an AR and I don't have any real complaints with it (power ring is a little stiff).

Go to Natchez and look up their weaver scopes. Natchez almost always has the best and most competitive prices on Weavers. Weaver provides decent scopes and you won't have to spend a lot on them as they are relatively low on price.