• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Decent O/U Shotgun

SNOW

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2003
Jackson, MS
Looking to get into my first O/U. Hope to get into the most reliable one for under $800. Suggestions??

Re: Decent O/U Shotgun

I have owned a couple dozen O/U's over the years and currently have a Beretta Onyx 12 ga with an English stock. Having owned, handled, and shot a few different brands, my favorite is Beretta. My second favorite was a Browning Lightning that I owned about 15 years ago, and my Dad has it now. He does most of his hunting with a Beretta Onyx 20 ga now though.

The main thing is to find one that FITS YOU. I have owned several Beretta Silver Pigeons and Silver Pigeon Sportings, but none of them "fit" me like the Onyx that I have now.

If you watch Gunbroker, you can probably find an Onyx in your price range.

Your best bet is to go to, or hang out on Saturday and or Sunday for the next few weeks at a trap, skeet, or sporting clays range. Most will have a bulletin board of someone selling a nice shotgun to fund some Perazzi or something $5K or $6K and looking to get rid of a Citori or red label or the like. Sometimes you can pick up a pretty good deal just like here on the hide.

what Mechanic said.

Citori's are nice
Beretta just makes some great stuff.

I prefer double triggers, but most newer ones have a single select trigger.

You should be able to get some decent scatter gun for $800.

AS with a precision rifle the fit is very important like retriever man said. It can be modified but don't over look this make sure it fits at some point. Get a GOOD smith to help with the fit.

I'm a big fan of the O/U's. but I am bias as my father purchased some great pieces in Germany back in '67. Needless to say I havn't had to really investigate as far as a purchase.

To reiterate, what Mechanic said.

This is my absolute favorite. Even over the Merkle.

20 ga. Imp on the bottom and mod on the top.

DSC02225.jpg

DSC02227.jpg

I just picked up a Stoeger O/U with a 20 and 12ga barrel sets (swappable) for $375 at Dicks. Some people don't like Stoeger but it swings well and hopefully loosens up after a couple hundred rounds (the action and safety are a bit stiff).

I'm going to use it to dove hunt mostly. Season is short so I don't want to sink too my into it. Imagine I'll shoot it about once a month or so at clays.

Went to the local Bass Pro to handle what they had. Of all the ones that were under $1500, the CZ Canvasback felt the best. Out the door it's around $650. The Onyx was OK too.

Go pick up the guns and see what comes to your shoulder and more importantly your eye with the least amount of effort. Personally Beretta is my choice for all my shotgunning needs. Pick one up and see if its true for you, well worth the extra!

+1 on finding a used Citori which may coast a smidge more than your budget but you will have a fine shotgun.