• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decent scope mounting kit?

Leveraction

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2021
Weaverville
Howdy. I am wanting to get a reasonably decent scope mounting kit. Or if need be buy individual pieces to make one. I am looking for something between cheap chinese shit and having to take out a mortgage. Would set a budget but not sure where to start with it. $200 reasonable?

Howdy. I am wanting to get a reasonably decent scope mounting kit. Or if need be buy individual pieces to make one. I am looking for something between cheap chinese shit and having to take out a mortgage. Would set a budget but not sure where to start with it. $200 reasonable?
Badger ordnance dead level and a plumb bob from Lowe’s.

There are a bunch of spuhr knock offs that seem to work very well. I like the SAC set up as well.

I am obviously missing something here. I was thinking lapping tools and reticle level. Maybe a line up tool. Maybe a torque driver. Feeler gauges? Plumb bob?
Quality rings do not need to be lapped. The plumb bob is how you level the reticle. It’s better than a level.

Reactions: Glassaholic
I am obviously missing something here. I was thinking lapping tools and reticle level. Maybe a line up tool. Maybe a torque driver. Feeler gauges? Plumb bob?

Just get a nice piece of paracord in a good color you can see then tie a weight to it. Thin. strings are hard to see compared to the reticle Vertical, and it's nice to get a little distance to do it.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
100 yard range, 4 ft level, paper, sharpie, torque wrench/bits of your choice, patience. No “kit” required.

if you are lapping anything, you aren’t buying high enough quality parts.

Reactions: 143lrsd
Alternatively you can sub out the range, level, sharpie and paper and instead use a white wall, black thread, weight, long enough distance to “focus” on the thread and achieve pretty good results.

Reactions: 143lrsd
Feeler gauges allow you to level your scope to your mount (by slipping them underneath the flat side of your erector housing and the mount or rail) which should also be level to your rifle, this works if you have and adjustable cant stock, if you do not have an adjustable cant stock then I recommend not leveling your reticle to your rifle, but to your natural hold. All of us have different shoulder pockets, but everyone has a natural cant to their hold and if you level to your rifle then you will constantly be fighting your natural hold with level.

Fix It Sticks sells this: https://store.fixitsticks.com/collections/featured-products/products/scope-jack

Never used it and it 'levels' the scope to your mount. What needs to be level is your reticle. Your barrel doesn't know 'level', it only understand gravity.

scopejackformktg1_2000x.jpg

image0_400x.jpg

Haha. Been mounting scopes wrong for years. 100 to 150 yards was all I had in mind. Thanks for the information. This will be quiet useful. What rings are do you recommend. I have used several different kinds. Like the talleys. Any judgement on them. Havent looked to see if they make them in the a size big enough for the scope I am getting.

Well give some info on your set up.

Seekins Precision are my ring of choice. Hold the scope as rings should and don;t cost an excessive amount. As mentioned no lapping. People would laugh at my mounting routine but I get it done in about 10 min and they are always level.

Set is meant to be a vortex venom 5-25x 56 with a 34 mm tube on a bergara bmp. 6.5 creedmoor. Have neither yet. Will probably order scope this week. Cant find the rifle local. As bad as I hate too I may have to go the gunbroker route.

Well give some info on your set up.

Seekins Precision are my ring of choice. Hold the scope as rings should and don;t cost an excessive amount. As mentioned no lapping. People would laugh at my mounting routine but I get it done in about 10 min and they are always level.
Do share Rob, I need a good laugh (and could probably learn a little in the process) ;)

I agree, for "budget" go Seekins if you want "easier" check out ARC M10.

Reactions: skyrep