• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decent spotting scope

signal5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
tx
I need suggestions on some decent spotting scopes. I work for a local PD gang unit and we are going to buy a couple of spotting scopes to be used for surveillance. I wasn't given a budget but I know I can't get anything extremely high dollar. If anybody can make any suggestions I will appreciate it.

You can have angled or straight and I have had zero issues with this and it compares to optics at twice the price..

Vortex Optics - Razor HD 20-60x85 Angled

You can also get camera attachments to take pics with it. They have the scope listed at 2k MSRP on the site but they are about 1600 retail at many locations and if you go through the department for the purchase I am sure you could get a better deal.

Last edited:
I need suggestions on some decent spotting scopes. I work for a local PD gang unit and we are going to buy a couple of spotting scopes to be used for surveillance. I wasn't given a budget but I know I can't get anything extremely high dollar. If anybody can make any suggestions I will appreciate it.

In the $1400ish price range I would also look at the new Meopta Meopro HD spotter. Besides the awesome clarity and low light performance, I really like that the course and fine adjustment are all done on the same focus ring. I find it easier and quicker to focus than the Vortex.

Meopta Meopro Spotting Scope Sale Meopta Meopro Spotting Scopes

Give myself or jay a call. We can hook you up with whatever you need. We also do department Purchase Orders.

For the money, I still like the Leupold Mark 4 (or Golden Ring) 12-40x60mm spotter. They are relatively light, compact, tough, and have very acceptable optional performance.

If weight and size isn't an issue, the Vortex Razor will serve you well.

I'd go with the Leupold. It is the only spotter I've found that has enough eye relief to get a full field of view while wearing eyeglasses. It has 30mm while most of the others have 16-20. I see no point in paying more for slightly better glass and clarity in a scope that vignettes down to 1/2 size.