• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decent wind resistant paper target stand?

alfack

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2018
Idaho City, Idaho
Hey all,

I've been using something similar to these, which work well on soft soil and as long as there is not much wind:

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/4...-17-paper-package-of-15-with-stand-and-backer

Unfortunately, the soil where I'm at now is hard and it's always windy. Anyone have suggestions for a decent stand? Thinking of drilling some holes in a 2x4 so I can put the little prongs in it and weight the board with rocks.

Thx

Do you weld at all? I welded up a target frame out of rebar, and it stands up on its own, but I can also drive the legs in if it's windy, even if it's hard ground. I cut a backboard out of plastic corrugated board to fit and attached it to the frame with zip ties, then I just tape the paper target to the backboard for quick replacement.

Might also consider this. I can't weld so I resorted to PVC erector set mentality, as they are, obviously light weight, inexpensive and easily replaceable as you will strike the frame when the wind is misjudged . When the wind is not favorable its pretty hard to hear steel ring @ 1000 meters. I use a vertically short system for zero range sight-in. For more than 500 - 1000 meters I like to use a large cardboard backing behind the target to stabilize it and see your "just missed" efforts as you correctly indicated the targets act as sails in the wind. I try to mitigate the motion with rubber band - support of the primary target with C-clip rubber bands. The large cardboard backing is from Home Depot grande shipping containers, cut open to length. The large cardboard backing is also secured with heavy duty rubber bands (Office Depot) with simple hole-puncher to the cardboard. All the parts fold up easy for transport and I keep all the PVC fittings in a Home Depot Tool Bag.

DSCN2010 copy 2.JPG
IMG_2225 copy.JPG
Joe takes out target frame photo 1 copy.JPG
Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 6.17.21 PM.png

Might also consider this. I can't weld so I resorted to PVC erector set mentality, as they are, obviously light weight, inexpensive and easily replaceable as you will strike the frame when the wind is misjudged . When the wind is not favorable its pretty hard to hear steel ring @ 1000 meters. I use a vertically short system for zero range sight-in. For more than 500 - 1000 meters I like to use a large cardboard backing behind the target to stabilize it and see your "just missed" efforts as you correctly indicated the targets act as sails in the wind. I try to mitigate the motion with rubber band - support of the primary target with C-clip rubber bands. The large cardboard backing is from Home Depot grande shipping containers, cut open to length. The large cardboard backing is also secured with heavy duty rubber bands (Office Depot) with simple hole-puncher to the cardboard. All the parts fold up easy for transport and I keep all the PVC fittings in a Home Depot Tool Bag.

View attachment 6876692View attachment 6876693View attachment 6876695View attachment 6876698
That is pretty elaborate, if I do say so myself! Gives me some ideas.

Do you weld at all? I welded up a target frame out of rebar, and it stands up on its own, but I can also drive the legs in if it's windy, even if it's hard ground. I cut a backboard out of plastic corrugated board to fit and attached it to the frame with zip ties, then I just tape the paper target to the backboard for quick replacement.
Sounds like a good idea. I have seen a few sites selling brackets that pieces of rebar would slip into.

At a range I used to use they drove 12" of 1 1/2" ID pipe into the ground. Tap in two 2x2"s and then screw a piece of 1/2" ply to the 2 by's. Then they would hole saw a 6" hole(s) through the ply. Center the target paper over the hole, they would last forever. I'd staple a piece of cardboard on the backside to block the sunlight. They are very rigid in the wind.

Biggest problem was the morons who would blast them with shotguns or scatter five 30 rounds mags at them. The blight of a unsupervised public range.

Not that I've ever done this, but, drive down most any road, pull 3 of the small metal realtor signs with 2 posts and 2-3 cross pieces. Get some zip ties, attach the frames together forming a freestanding H. These things handle wind quite well and when the metal panels are shot to shit, just tape some cardboard over them.

You could drive a pair of short lengths of 1/2" rebar into the ground, leaving a foot or so sticking up, and make sort of an H shaped PVC frame with a top cross piece that would sit atop the rebar. Depending how the land is used when not a shooting range might tell whether rebar sticking out of the ground is a good idea or not, maybe hit with some orange paint.

Also keep in mind the wind effects on your target are proportional to the surface area exposed, so the cardboard or other backer should only be big enough for the targets you tend to use. Works if shooting for groups but not if you need to spot misses....

I use homemade uspsa target stands that have holes drilled into the feet. I pound railroad spikes thru the holes. Then use 2x3 furring strips to Staple the target to.

Google "uspsa target stand"

Not that I've ever done this, but, drive down most any road, pull 3 of the small metal realtor signs with 2 posts and 2-3 cross pieces. Get some zip ties, attach the frames together forming a freestanding H. These things handle wind quite well and when the metal panels are shot to shit, just tape some cardboard over them.

Midterm elections are coming up this year. Politicians use the same signs to advertise their campaigns...(and they put out a LOT of them, everywhere you look). I find the blue ones seem to work better than the red ones, for some reason.