• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Decibel level of a suppressed, supersonic .308?

uracowman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I did some searching and couldn't find an exact answer.

I'm assuming a unsuppressed round registered a decibel reading around 160 DBs. With this in mind, what does a suppressed .308 sound like at the muzzle and at the ear on a 20 inch bolt gun? What about at the ear on a 26 inch bolt gun?

The reason why I ask is because sound degradation is logarithmic (If I remember correctly), so it would make sense that it would be much quieter at the ear when shot out of a 26 inch gun. Below is a video of my 26 inch TRG. I tend to shoot without ear pro when using the can, but I was just wondering what DB ratings to expect at the ear because I haven't noticed any sort of ringing after shooting. This, and I've also read people say to always use ear pro even when shooting suppressed.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XsIEtYh0N_A"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XsIEtYh0N_A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Decibel level of a suppressed, supersonic .308?

I'm also interested in this one. I regularly shoot my 20" .308 AI AW with an SAS Arbiter can and no hearing protection. I haven't noticed any discomfort while shooting or ringing afterwards.

Now my 16" AR-15 is another story thanks to noise coming out the ejection port and gas tube…

—Andreas

You are probably looking at 125 to 130 db at the ear with a supersonic round and suppressed .308. This is at the edge of what is believed to be the level of certain damage.

FYI, you do not have to feel pain or get ringing to be causing damage to your hearing.

It is widely believed that any sound over 130 db causes damage, even if there is no pain or ringing afterwards. Some say the threshold for 'certain' damage may be as low as 120 db. It also is a cumulative effect too. In other words a few shots at 130 db might be equal to a dozen shots of 120 db in a days time at the range.

You also have to factor in the 'noise pollution' of others around you. Their muzzle blasts count towards your daily totals as well.

To be safe, WEAR hearing protection when shooting suppressed, at least the small ear plugs that do not change cheek placement. Those should put you down into the 100 to 110 db level which is FAR SAFER!

I ONLY shoot suppressed and ONLY with hearing protection now...don't ask me why!

It will still cause hearing loss over time. I would bet even the best can will still be over 125 DB at the ear. Hearing safe is only for specified period of time. 110 to 120 DB range is hearing safe for 30 seconds or less per day. If you are firing 1 round a day you will probably be good. A day shooting will cause hearing damage eventually. By the same token, wearing plugs and muffs without a suppressor will cause about the same hearing loss and a suppressor with no hearing protection. If you value your hearing and spend a decent amount of time shooting, use the suppressor and hearing protection.

Took too long typing.