• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decide For Me: Defiance anTi or Kelbly's Nanook

HousePlant

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2020
    Because I've chosen to be stupid with money and because the Tikkas and X-Bolt I have that weigh barely anything and get well below MOA aren't sufficiently increasing the size of my manhood, I would like to try my hand at building an ultra-light weight rifle with all the carbon fibers. I quite like me some Kelbly's actions in general but there's also the Defiance anTi and it's pretty damn well established that Defiance is good stuff. Both are timed proper for prefits.

Which would you buy and why? I feel like the Kelbly is a little pricy at >$1,400 but it is DLC-coated already and I think I want the action to be black.

I'm likely going with 300 WSM. I have a lot of fancy 300 WSM ammo already. Potentially a 300 Win Mag since I also have a pile of ammo for that.

The stock I'm likely going for is the lighest one I know of which is the Manners MCS-UC. I don't need LOP and cheek adjustment (or the added weight).

Look at lone peak titanium actions.They are a solid option

Reactions: BCX
    Look at lone peak titanium actions.They are a solid option

I've thought about the titaniums but... feel like not worth the, what, 2 less ounces when you have the aforementioned actions.

Guy asks "Defiance or Kelbly's"- first reply is another brand! Gotta love SH! Hahahahaha

• Haha
    Reactions: HousePlant
    I was thinking the same thing. I just picked up the anti on Thursday and I have already been on the phone with Defiance. The bolt lift is the heaviest of any action that I’ve handled. They said it is probably the nitride. I put some hp grease on the cocking piece and cocking cam and will see if it eases up with some use.
    BD580244-FCA1-48B9-9D85-6B485243FF3D.jpeg

Doubt anyone will have much bad to say about either Defiance or Kelbly, both make great actions. I would go with whichever one I could get my hands on.

And just thinking about an ultra light 300 mag makes my shoulder hurt…

I know the Kelbly's is as smooth as the other actions -- I've got to fondle one. Never touched an anTi but have fondled a Tenacity. I expected the anTi to be the same as the current generation Tenacity considering same machine makes them, so I'm told. Along with the Ruckus.

And just thinking about an ultra light 300 mag makes my shoulder hurt…

300 WSM recoil on my X-Bolt (which is quite lite) doesn't bother me. 300 Win Mag on my Montana Rifle Company (heavier rifle) bothered me.

Couldn't tell you why such a difference but it is what it is.

Anyway, I care more about how my shoulder feels carrying the thing A to B than the one or two times I need to shoot it. Only time I've been recoil sensitive such that I struggle being accurate is with ultra-magnums in lighter stocks like the 300 Weatherby Magnum (no brake) in a B&C stock that I used to have. That thing was a bull.

Last edited:
    I was thinking the same thing. I just picked up the anti on Thursday and I have already been on the phone with Defiance. The bolt lift is the heaviest of any action that I’ve handled. They said it is probably the nitride. I put some hp grease on the cocking piece and cocking cam and will see if it eases up with some use.
    View attachment 7807271

What stock is that one?

View attachment 7807271
    Do you have another trigger you can try? Have you lubed the threads between the shroud and the bolt body? I’ve played with a few of those now for customer builds and they feel like any other Defiance to me. They do have a shorter handle than any other Defiance I believe. It’s also weird that they would blame it on the nitride. They are hard to find nitrided, so I end up buying them in the white, and then sending them off for nitride myself. They are nice in the white, and they are nicer after nitride for sure.

Another thought to add, I have seen some of the ultra light stocks fail under heavy recoil and I believe some even specify caliber limitations in the fine print.

Another thought to add, I have seen some of the ultra light stocks fail under heavy recoil and I believe some even specify caliber limitations in the fine print.

The one I mentioned apparently is good for magnums. It won't get used like my PRS rifle so... hopefully that doesn't happen! :)

I tried it without a trigger, with a Timney Elite Hunter, Timney 510, Triggertech primary, and Triggertech Diamond. No change. I applied oil but I think I will take it all back apart and add grease to everything and cycle it a couple hundred times.

I tried it without a trigger, with a Timney Elite Hunter, Timney 510, Triggertech primary, and Triggertech Diamond. No change. I applied oil but I think I will take it all back apart and add grease to everything and cycle it a couple hundred times.
    I’d send it back and have them check it out. The bolt and the receiver won’t wear at all even with thousands of cycles. I think the only wear part in there is going to be the aluminum shroud.

Last edited:
    I made a 300wm in anti ti with all the carbon fibers and it was a bad idea. Super light rifle for packing in but horrible to shoot. I am constantly worried about getting scope when trying to shoot off hand. To each his own but i ended up swapping out the VX-3i scope for a NX8 just to add back some weight. sometimes lightest isn't always the best.