• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decided on the SOCOM16 as my go to carbine

threefeathers

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2003
AZ
I live near the border and have a number of close B P buddies. I've come to believe that a number of the Mexican 'police' are armed with G-3's in 7.62 and have Level III IBA. Some of my friends feel a bit underguned with a 5.56 carbine at longer ranges. I think the SOCOM16 properly set up may be a pretty good answer.
I spoke at length with Mike Sadlak and decided on the new Airborne mount. I think the MeOpta K Dot is the perfect scope for this set up.
I may put the scope in a lower LaRue QD mount or I may just use a G I cheekpiece (washcloth tightly bound with 90 mph tape)
P2260225.jpg

Re: Decided on the SOCOM16 as my go to carbine

"Airborne" is right - ain't gonna be no cheekweld with <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> puppy.

A deputy who worked for a friend of mine down south of here was following two Suburbans. The back doors of the rear vehicle opened to reveal a M2 Browning on a tripod mount.

You may still be undergunned...
laugh.gif

I just traded for a lower set of rings, and I'll probably put a regular cheek piece on it (I have a good one on my NM) You're not kidding about firearms being deployed by the Maxicans, whoooooie.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Airborne" is right - ain't gonna be no cheekweld with <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> puppy.

A deputy who worked for a friend of mine down south of here was following two Suburbans. The back doors of the rear vehicle opened to reveal a M2 Browning on a tripod mount.

You may still be undergunned...
laugh.gif

</div></div>

A hearty lol and a Jesus H. in the same breath- how did it turn out??

The deputy, of whom there are typically 3 on the road in that Texas county which exceeds 3500 square miles, wisely, IMO, decided that he should leave those folks alone.

Fighting the drug war is like raising teenagers - you have to pick your battles. He decided that was one he wasn't going to win. I agree.

Reactions: GLD1980

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The deputy, of whom there are typically 3 on the road in that Texas county which exceeds 3500 square miles, wisely, IMO, decided that he should leave those folks alone.

Fighting the drug war is like raising teenagers - you have to pick your battles. He decided that was one he wasn't going to win. I agree.
</div></div>

I personally believe the correct response should have been a helicopter with a mini gun should intercept and take care of business.

rant off.....

The socom is a beast, It should hold off any "nasties" for a nice distance, maby not the best CQB weapon. Any thoughts of one of the SAGE stocks?

tell your buddies, the head shots will work or just go SAS style and shoot for the pelvic gurdle lol, alot of

Thanks guus, we are of course looking at solutions. The SOCOM is a great package. The after market stocks from the Sage on , in my opinion, (remember I'm a simple retired 19D with limited thought processes) are front heavy and do not allow for that simplest of techniques, a verticle buttstroke.
So I want to have the lightest platform possible. By moving the scope back to 'normal' position in one of Mike's mounts we improve balance considerably. Then we use the built in picitinny mount on the stock and use an offset light on one side and an offset laser on the other. All of these will be QD and mounted when necessary.
I'm paying for this myself so it's taking me time to get everything.
I make the money by teaching civilians CCW and firearms classes and business is pretty good.
In the meantime I'll just use a G I cheekpiece and get this puppy into operation.
However I'll trade for a lower set of rings soon and then probably put a strap on cheekpiece on soon.
But, I want to shoot it soon.
I have to have someone else shoot it because I have been training so much with Ayoob and Hays in Tactical shotgun I'v torn a retina and am under specific orders to lay off if I don't want to go blind. (don't let anyone tell you the laser surgery for a torn retnia doesn't hurt, but the alternative is worse.)

If you haven't already purchased the SOCOM, you may want to consider the Scout instead. Same optics mount but will be more accurate at longer ranges. Weight is stated as being a few ounces less than the SOCOM. I love the SOCOM for close range work but down where you are the extended distance may prove undesireable for the 16" barrel.

threefeathers, what part of AZ? what kind of classes do you teach? ive been thinking of picking up a socom also, but can never save enough.

Did anyone notice the USCG guys on TV? It looked to me like they run their S&B's in LaRue mounts cantilevered backwards from the handguard rail-looked like a slick setup for the M1A variants.......

Hi. I'm one of Mas Ayoob's Level three instructors. I teach firearms for the Warrior Transition Unit at Ft. Huachuca but have added Three Points in Tucson on my Liability insurance. So I'll soon e teaching intensive handgun, shotgun and carbine classes there.
If you are military we have a class on the 18th at Ft. Huachuca.

One thing is for certain, this baby can be configured in many very effective ways to meet the situation. So now I have to order another :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: threefeathers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guus, we are of course looking at solutions. The SOCOM is a great package. The after market stocks from the Sage on , in my opinion, (remember I'm a simple retired 19D with limited thought processes) are front heavy and do not allow for that simplest of techniques, a verticle buttstroke.
So I want to have the lightest platform possible. </div></div>

I love the SAGE EBR, but the SOCOM is better in the TROY MCS ... neither are as light as you want.

The lightest set-up would include a wood stock (Walnut or Chu wood) with the factory forward optic mount removed and a light weight over the receiver scope mount installed. I think Sadlak has the lightest mount available. A USGI synthetic stock would be better than wood, but it's going to add weight. The optic needs to sit low, be light weight and not have magnification that is too powerful. Set it up for less than 500 yards and you should be good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you haven't already purchased the SOCOM, you may want to consider the Scout instead. Same optics mount but will be more accurate at longer ranges. </div></div>

Agreed, the 18.0" barrel on the Bush, Scout and MK14 is a better way to go, but I think threefeathers has already made his purchase

Walter-Mitty-3.jpg

Finally, the K Dot on a Sadlak Airborne Mount with Burris medium rings. Hand, balanced, I can use the butstock for a verticle of horrizontle stroks, and it shoots like a charm
cid__0325001958.jpg

very nice, i need to add a m1a to my safe soon, all this talk gets me itchy i do like my ebr at work.

Nice. I have a SOCOM II that I need to do some work on. Right now it just has an EO Tech on it. I can ping 100 yds pretty tight with it. Well tight(considering)...... The only thing I dont like about it is the grip. Just feels a little awkward. I want to put the sage stock on it but then it is no longer legal in CA. So for now I am stuck with the rifle style grip.... I will put picturs up soon.