• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Deciding on a Compass Lake Engineering chamber for a AR-15

bbush

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
I am about to make the plunge in buying a Compass Lake Engineering (CLE) chambered barrel for a AR-15 accuracy build. The problem is that I can't decide between the CLE match or the Wylde chamber. I see that CLE claims that their own CLE match chamber produces about 23% smaller groups than the Wylde chamber....I am wondering if anyone has been able to document that amount (or any amount) smaller groups when compared to the Wylde chamber in the real world. I was initially going to go with the Wylde chamber but after looking over CLE's website, I started thinking that I might should go with the CLE match. I am just nervous in choosing the CLE match because I have heard that certain brands of factory ammo may not chamber properly with it where as with the Wylde, I have never heard of any problems. I guess what I am ultimately trying to decide is how much difference is there truly between the accuracy potential of the CLE match and Wylde chambers. I am also trying to decide if the CLE match is worth it if there is a chance that some factory ammunition brands may not chamber properly with it. In case you are wondering, I haven't started reloading yet, so this is the reason for the concern with the factory ammunition. Besides, even after I start reloading, I don't know if I really want to go with a chamber that may be picky with what it will chamber...factory or reloads.

I am about to make the plunge in buying a Compass Lake Engineering (CLE) chambered barrel for a AR-15 accuracy build. The problem is that I can't decide between the CLE match or the Wylde chamber. I see that CLE claims that their own CLE match chamber produces about 23% smaller groups than the Wylde chamber....I am wondering if anyone has been able to document that amount (or any amount) smaller groups when compared to the Wylde chamber in the real world. I was initially going to go with the Wylde chamber but after looking over CLE's website, I started thinking that I might should go with the CLE match. I am just nervous in choosing the CLE match because I have heard that certain brands of factory ammo may not chamber properly with it where as with the Wylde, I have never heard of any problems. I guess what I am ultimately trying to decide is how much difference is there truly between the accuracy potential of the CLE match and Wylde chambers. I am also trying to decide if the CLE match is worth it if there is a chance that some factory ammunition brands may not chamber properly with it. In case you are wondering, I haven't started reloading yet, so this is the reason for the concern with the factory ammunition. Besides, even after I start reloading, I don't know if I really want to go with a chamber that may be picky with what it will chamber...factory or reloads.
I have a CLE Chamber and it shoots great now. Struggled a bit a first but really good now .5-.9for 5-10 shots respectively. Haven't had any issues chambering rounds but I shoot handloads.

Barrel prior was a Wylde Chamber and it shot about the same.

I seriously doubt most people will see a significant difference between a CLE and a Wylde Chamber in real world conditions. Especially if you're planning to shoot factory ammo, the ammo will be the limiting factor.

So: Wylde if you want to shoot primarily factory ammo and CLE if handloads are an option. Either will likely be fine though.

I’ve got a CLE Match chamber recon barrel that’s 1/2 MOA all day with 75gr bthp with 24gr Varget. I’d recommend it. It also shoots factory Frontier 55gr at 1moa. That stuff is cheap and it loves it. Never had an issue with it.

@eyekahn

If that is the 5.56 55gr load of Frontier... be careful, Kabooms being reported from it.

If you're not already rolling your own ammo, I'd stick with the Wylde chamber. And if/when you eventually start handloading, it's still a good chamber that's easy to load for.

The .223 55gr hollow point match. The 5.56 XM193 version blows primers. It’s terrible.

The .223 55gr hollow point match. The 5.56 XM193 version blows primers. It’s terrible.

I've heard that before & have stayed away from it, but what about the 75 gr Hornady Frontier Match ammo? Same issues or is it any good.............sure 'nuff is cheap.

MM

I have a Windham that I bought when they started back up (old Bushmaster people). It came a 20" barrel with a CL chamber.
Shoots anything and probably my 2nd most accurate rifle.
Lots of factors at play here including things that I added that make this rifle a great shooter.
The CL chamber did give some concern only because there wasn't much talk about them but I am very pleased with the knowledge that Windham had in putting together an excellent rifle.

I've heard that before & have stayed away from it, but what about the 75 gr Hornady Frontier Match ammo? Same issues or is it any good.............sure 'nuff is cheap.

MM
Not sure on their factory offering. I only handload the 75’s. I use their brass though so I’m sure it’s pretty accurate. I’m getting 2570fps in a 15.1” Bartlein with CLE chamber.

I am just nervous in choosing the CLE match because I have heard that certain brands of factory ammo may not chamber properly with it

Besides, even after I start reloading, I don't know if I really want to go with a chamber that may be picky with what it will chamber...factory or reloads.

It's not an issue with chambering, it's a possible pressure issue from the short throat. Per CLE's website:
The CLE match chamber will give better barrel life due to the shorter throat and gives slightly higher pressure.

There have been reports of certain 5.56 ammunition showing pressure signs, possibly the mil-spec 62gr penetrator. OTM with the more common flavors has not reported issues, including 80gr HPBT loaded longer than mag length.

I’ve used both. Have not noticed any accuracy difference between the two and that’s on DMR rifles built for accuracy using handloads.

What I have noticed was velocity. CLE chambers tend to be 60-80 fps faster than the wylde using the same ammo.

I have had pressure issues sooner with the CLE chamber compared to the wylde. Most notibly factory IMI 77 razor core. I have both popped and pierced primers with the CLE chamber and have not with the wylde.

If handloading, I would go with the CLE. If using factory I would go with the wylde.

Reactions: Subwrx300
If there is an accuracy difference between the two, it is hard to tell.

But the Wylde will handle almost all 5.56, whereas the CLE can be pickier from what I've found (as mentioned popped primers).

I have a Windham that I bought when they started back up (old Bushmaster people). It came a 20" barrel with a CL chamber.
Shoots anything and probably my 2nd most accurate rifle.
Lots of factors at play here including things that I added that make this rifle a great shooter.
The CL chamber did give some concern only because there wasn't much talk about them but I am very pleased with the knowledge that Windham had in putting together an excellent rifle.

They are talking about CLE (Compass Lake Engineering) chambers, not CL (Chrome Lined).
Totally different meaning. Not insulting ya, just wanted to advise so you would know why no one responded.
Easy mistake to make.

Reactions: deersniper
They are talking about CLE (Compass Lake Engineering) chambers, not CL (Chrome Lined).
Totally different meaning. Not insulting ya, just wanted to advise so you would know why no one responded.
Easy mistake to make.

Didn't think I had to spell it out. Oh well.
Anyway it's a compass lake chamber.
Is that better?

I just had CLE spin a Kreiger barrel for me in the 17.9" SPR profile and have it mounted and ready to go. I will test CBC 77 grain SMK, IMI Razor Core 69 and 77 SMK, and Winchester 62 grain OTM FBI training overrun ammo. I hope to have something good to say tomorrow!

I have a CLE barrel(krieger blank) with their chamber. I shoot 99% hand loads, but I broke the gun in on FGMM 77g and some Black Hills 77g. Ive also put some Federal Fusion 62g through it. Thats my limit of factory ammo through this chamber, but no problems.

I am just a little puzzled why everyone that has compared the Wylde and CLE chambers on precision rifles seem to claim that there is no noticeable difference in accuracy between the two but then go on to say, that if you use factory....go Wylde....if you reload....go CLE. It makes no sense to me that if there is no difference in accuracy, that you would not go with the Wylde since you are not limited between the 223 and 5.56 ammo pressures and the Wylde has less tendency with blown primers and extraction problems. Is the only advantage with the CLE chamber possibly longer barrel throat life?

Last edited:
I am just a little puzzled why everyone that has compared the Wylde and CLE chambers on precision rifles seem to claim that there is no noticeable difference in accuracy between the two but then go on to say, that if you use factory....go Wylde....if you reload....go CLE. It would make since to me that if there is no difference between the two in accuracy, that you would go with the Wylde since you are not limited between the 223 and 5.56 ammo pressures and the Wylde has less tendency with blown primers and extraction problems. Is the only advantage with the CLE chamber possibly longer barrel throat life?

For me it's like this...

There is a chance not all factory loads will chamber, or might chamber the bullet in the lands, in a CLE match chamber. If you're only shooting factory ammo, why mess with it? Get the Wylde, as it's still really good. If you're shooting reloads and factory ammo, still get the Wylde, as you can still find bullets that jump well, or load them long, etc.

If you're only reloading, get yourself some Sierra 77 TMK's, seat them at mag length (2.26"), and they should be ~0.015" off the lands in a CLE match chamber. You could even chase the lands if you use the right magazine. The tight chamber should extend brass life some. And with everything else being equal, I'd expect the CLE match chamber to shoot a little better for a little longer.

But everything isn't equal, and tolerances can stack for or against you. So you might try your luck shooting mixed factory ammo through the CLE. Maybe you'll find a winning combo, or maybe you'll find a headache.

Reactions: Steve_In_29
I received my CLE chambered 17.9 Bartlein earlier this year. I've tried roughly 6 different types of 556 and .223 ammo. No issues. Very pleased so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustysa4
Pleased with the results with the 62 grain OTM winchester FBI training ammo. Need to reload some 69grain and 77 grain SMKs to get the potential for this .