• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Deciding on a mag length, heavy bullet, for long range in a .223 AR

david8989

The Tactical Texan
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2011
Bowie, TX
As the title states, I need help deciding on the heaviest bullet I can run out of my 1-in-7, 18" .223 wylde AR. I will be shooting a team match in two months with targets out to 600 yards and I'll be the gas gunner. What I'm needing as far as guidance is to know, how heavy a bullet can I run with full velocity at mag length (Which I don't have those numbers with me but I'd assume not a ton further than 2.26" SAAMI)? I've been looking in the 69g range but I know my twist can get me a little more. So if you guys have some bullet suggestions or just some advice on where to settle I'd love to hear it. Thank you!

69 and 77gr Sierra match kings can be run at mag length without issue. I've run the 69s to 730yd.

Reactions: camocorvette
Thank you! I searched earlier but didn't come up with this thread

I've been running 77 SMK and Hornady 73 ELD using 8208 and AR Comp powder. I load 2.25 OAL and have no issues with a variety of mags. 2.26 would be max.

Awesome, sounds like I can go quite a bit heavier than I thought. Glad I asked!