• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decision input? k624i or….

Wolffie

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2018
Mooresville, NC
I recently bought a CZ457 22 trainer (with manners adjustable stock). I got it as a companion gun to a Defiance Deviant 6.5C I set up a couple years ago with a similar stock. I don’t have as much opportunity to shoot as I did when I built the 6.5C. Two kids, new job, move across the state…. It’s easier to get a couple hundred yards than 500+. And range time is a premium anyway.

I initially thought I’d “cheap out” and get a Vortex PST 2 5-25, which have a decent reputation… but then I thought I’d pick up another k624i LSW CCW SKMR3 so all the controls and reticle would be the same. And a better reputation for solid tracking than vortex vipers. I like the one I’ve got and doubt I’ll ever be limited by it…

As I’m watching PX listings and looking at prices on them, for similar money there is also the NF NX8 4-32 F1 mil xt. Which gives me a slightly better bottom end magnification. I trust NF tracking as well.

At the moment both guns are fun range toys. I don’t have time to compete. But I’d like too when the kids get older and more independent.

Any suggestions? NX8? K624i? Is there another scope I’m overlooking?

Yes, the Burris XTR Pro.

Nicer than the NX8, and in a recent comparison over on the Pro thread, both the guy who owned the Pro and the guy who owned the Kahles K624i thought the Pro was a little nicer in a side by side comparison.

At $2200, it's going to be a hell of a nice scope. Will parallax down to 15yds.

On my CZ457 for your viewing pleasure. 🤣

Last edited:
I love my Khales k624's (I have them on all my rifles), but for a .22 I would get a scope that has parallax for shorter ranges.

Reactions: Birddog6424
The parallax is something I didn’t think about. And that would definitely tip the scales towards the NX8 with parallax at 11m…

I will try to find a Burris to look at. I’m not going to lie. For most of my 44 years, Burris has been hot garbage…. And I do realize that they have been reinventing themselves for the past 10 years or so… $2200 is a harsh price tag in my mind for something that says Burris on the side. It’s a personal perspective. But I will try to get past that and give it a fair look.

The parallax is something I didn’t think about. And that would definitely tip the scales towards the NX8 with parallax at 11m…

I will try to find a Burris to look at. I’m not going to lie. For most of my 44 years, Burris has been hot garbage…. And I do realize that they have been reinventing themselves for the past 10 years or so… $2200 is a harsh price tag in my mind for something that says Burris on the side. It’s a personal perspective. But I will try to get past that and give it a fair look.
I understand. And you're honesty is appreciated.

But I'm pretty certain Burris left hot garbage behind some years ago. They make some pretty good value optics these days.

If you put the Pro next to the NX8 you'd buy the Pro. The XTRII and XTRIII have been as durable and reliable as any scope on the market. Now the Pro is built on those platforms with phenomenal glass and features.

Keep an eye out for one.

Reactions: Wolffie
I looked hard at the NX8 for my rimfires, but there was enough great review and observation data here that steered me away (for rimfires). Although the parallax goes down to 11yrds, 100yds and under seems to be a finicky area for image quality and a small sweet spot. Parallax is too high on the K624 for my liking, which is why I also don't have a MK5. I am using a K525i on a Bergara and it has been a joy to get behind.

After re-reading your post, I would say get a used K525i ( 20m parallax) with the same controls and reticle as your centerfire. Or fall in love with the XTR Pro, buy two and sell your K624i on the PX.

Last edited:
I recently bought a CZ457 22 trainer (with manners adjustable stock). I got it as a companion gun to a Defiance Deviant 6.5C I set up a couple years ago with a similar stock. I don’t have as much opportunity to shoot as I did when I built the 6.5C. Two kids, new job, move across the state…. It’s easier to get a couple hundred yards than 500+. And range time is a premium anyway.

I initially thought I’d “cheap out” and get a Vortex PST 2 5-25, which have a decent reputation… but then I thought I’d pick up another k624i LSW CCW SKMR3 so all the controls and reticle would be the same. And a better reputation for solid tracking than vortex vipers. I like the one I’ve got and doubt I’ll ever be limited by it…

As I’m watching PX listings and looking at prices on them, for similar money there is also the NF NX8 4-32 F1 mil xt. Which gives me a slightly better bottom end magnification. I trust NF tracking as well.

At the moment both guns are fun range toys. I don’t have time to compete. But I’d like too when the kids get older and more independent.

Sounds like you like the Kahles and know them well... I'd stick with what you know. Go for the K624i or one of the new K525i scopes.

So I’m the guy bird dog was referring to comparing the kahles to the pro. I literally just sold my kahles tonight and am going to order the pro tomorrow. For me it came down to familiar controls. I have too many guns to be able to afford to put a kahles on each and swapping back and forth to different controls is confusing for me. I have reached up multiple times to adjust the paralax only to feel the click click click of the left side windage. The mag throw is also different direction from my other scopes so it just made sense to sell it and go with the pro.

I’ll keep an eye out for one. I guess it’s probably like Hyundai. Hyundai of the 90’s isn’t the Hyundai of today… but Toyota is still Toyota.

The kahles prices have dropped pretty low as well. You can pick up a 6-24 for well under $2k in the classifieds lately. If you like the kahles stick with it.

So I’m the guy bird dog was referring to comparing the kahles to the pro. I literally just sold my kahles tonight and am going to order the pro tomorrow. For me it came down to familiar controls. I have too many guns to be able to afford to put a kahles on each and swapping back and forth to different controls is confusing for me. I have reached up multiple times to adjust the paralax only to feel the click click click of the left side windage. The mag throw is also different direction from my other scopes so it just made sense to sell it and go with the pro.
I was watching your ad actually. Almost messaged you before I posted this out of indecision… my optic inventory is currently NF heavy. NX8 1-8, NXS 2.5-10x32, Atacr 1-8…. But the NXS is the only one I ever “dial.” Also have a K16i and the aforementioned k624. I like the NX8 1-8 better than the online complaints would say that I should. They eye box isn’t that tight to my eyes. The K16i was still my favorite Lpvo before the atacr. And pound for pound /dollar for dollar I would still recommend it. My Razor 1-6 is going to be listed soon as it’s homeless….

Honestly though. For my situation that sounds like a vote for the K624i….

I was watching your ad actually. Almost messaged you before I posted this out of indecision… my optic inventory is currently NF heavy. NX8 1-8, NXS 2.5-10x32, Atacr 1-8…. But the NXS is the only one I ever “dial.” Also have a K16i and the aforementioned k624. I like the NX8 1-8 better than the online complaints would say that I should. They eye box isn’t that tight to my eyes. The K16i was still my favorite Lpvo before the atacr. And pound for pound /dollar for dollar I would still recommend it. My Razor 1-6 is going to be listed soon as it’s homeless….

Honestly though. For my situation that sounds like a vote for the K624i….
Well, being the good Samaritan that I am... I will step-up and give it a good home. Just box it right up, and send it on over. 😉 Being that I'm a firearms and optics 501(c)3 non-profit, I cannot accept money, but our mission statement is that no scopes and guns should ever be homeless, so we will always take them in, get them cleaned-up, and give them a good place to stay, get them a good job, and back on their feet in no time. Sometimes you see some that have lived through some rough conditions their whole lives, but philanthropy is not always pretty. 👍🏼

I can always put it on my custom 14.5" M4 that shoots sub-MOA, even out to 200. 😏

Well, being the good Samaritan that I am... I will step-up and give it a good home. Just box it right up, and send it on over. 😉 Being that I'm a firearms and optics 501(c)3 non-profit, I cannot accept money, but our mission statement is that no scopes and guns should ever be homeless, so we will always take them in, get them cleaned-up, and give them a good place to stay, get them a good job, and back on their feet in no time. Sometimes you see some that have lived through some rough conditions their whole lives, but philanthropy is not always pretty. 👍🏼

I can always put it on my custom 14.5" M4 that shoots sub-MOA, even out to 200. 😏

If you are interested let me know. It sounds like I might need to fund a K525 with closer parallax than the 624…. Or XTR pro… both more than I was hoping to spend.

It sat in the safe, lonely on a 300 BO bolt gun that I got bored with quickly. And sold to a friend because his 9 year old loved it. Then sat as a place holder waiting for the ATACR to take its place on my 14.5” LMT Mars MLR, with a Colt Socom barrel that was converted to LMT specs by D Wilson, that will also go sub moa at 200 for 5 rounds of 77 gr anyway….

I haven’t figured out what to ask for it… it’s the less desirable Gen 2 VMR-2 not E, that had a bit of a weight problem….

If you are interested let me know. It sounds like I might need to fund a K525 with closer parallax than the 624…. Or XTR pro… both more than I was hoping to spend.

It sat in the safe, lonely on a 300 BO bolt gun that I got bored with quickly. And sold to a friend because his 9 year old loved it. Then sat as a place holder waiting for the ATACR to take its place on my 14.5” LMT Mars MLR, with a Colt Socom barrel that was converted to LMT specs by D Wilson, that will also go sub moa at 200 for 5 rounds of 77 gr anyway….

I haven’t figured out what to ask for it… it’s the less desirable Gen 2 VMR-2 not E, that had a bit of a weight problem….
I wish I could... I'm broke as hell. I was just being funny. 😂

I have a 624i (with the AMR reticle). It's the hardest scope I have to get behind (eye box/eye relief) and the glass isn't as good as my Mark 5HD. I bought it because I bloody LOVE the AMR reticle and I got it NIB for $1800. I still paid too much. There's better out there now...