• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Decision Making & Suppressors

sandwalk3r

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2011
Kentucky
I'm working through my decision making process on selling several guns and buying (hopefully) the one rifle to rule them all. I'm torn between sticking with .308 (cheaper, easier to get ammo, etc) and just makin a step up to .300 win mag. I like the military calibers, so not really looking at other cals. And while I really don't need .300 now, it's there whenever I do get to shoot longer ranges.

My primary key decision point is suppression. I want to shoot comfortably without ear pro.

Can you get a .300 win mag suppressed to comfortable levels of sound with either a .308 can or a .338? Is the magnum can better (don't care about weight - just suppression)?

Or is .308 simply going to be more comfortable to shoot without ear pro?

As a base example, my 5.56 Noveske with AAC M4 2000 can is not what I would call comfortable. I can pop off a round or two no problem, but ear fatigue is there with any kind of volume, and I want to avoid that.

That's really the main question regarding what caliber to get.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Re: Decision Making & Suppressors

Won't be comfortable with any super 30 cal round. Unless one is shooting subsonic you will still need ear protection

Re: Decision Making & Suppressors

I have shot a 308 with a can and I would not shoot it without hearing protection. The 300 mag would be louder and therefore most definitely hearing protection is needed. Also, I have noticed that it is noticeably louder when shooting it than when standing to the side when someone else is shooting it. The can makes a difference, but not enough for me to go without protection. Although some guys do.