• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decision time

Ldecker81

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2021
Columbus ohio
My first original post so here goes. I'm trying to get into precision shooting with rimfire and. 223. Nothing fancy just a ruger precision rimfire and a gas .223 setup to get started shooting paper from a bench between 50-200 yards. I'm currently using a Athlon argos btr 6-24x50 and a Riton X1 conquer 6-24x50. I like the Riton reticle for 22lr and I enjoy the glass on the Argos but I want to step up to the next level in optics. I have narrowed my list down to a handful of choices and I'm looking for any suggestions to help reduce this list to one!
1. Riton x5 5-25x50
2. Athlon Midas btr 4.5-27x50
3. Vortex venom 5-25x56
4. Arken sh4 gen2 6-24x50
5. Meopta optika6 4.5-27x50
6. Burris......in similar configuration
Any chance there's a clear winner I'm not aware of? I prefer SFP for small targets but it's not a deal breaker and glass clarity is most important so I can rely on my scope as a spotter for up to a couple hundred yards on paper targets.

Doug, I appreciate you taking the time to discuss options over the phone. You guys have legit customer service skills that is lacking in the world today. I got my list downt to optika6 4.5-27 or the midas btr 4.5-27. Both SFP and same magnification range. For shooting paper at the range I think both are good but I haven't handled either option. Any chance that one is better than the other as far as clarity?

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
For that distance, SFP is fine for the 223 as elevation and wind isn't gonna be much of an issue. With the 22, I would advise getting a FFP, so that you can use your reticle at all magnification ranges to hold wind, and elevation if you choose. And if you are going to start pushing the 223 further, a FFP will help the further out you go.

Solid advice, thanks. I use my Argos btr when I'm wanting a FFP reticle. I really like the SFP reticle for my style of precision paper punching. I'm just trying to find the best glass between the two.

IMO, the Meopta may edge out the Athlon optically, however, I think the Athlon will be more dependable mechanically with repeatability and turret consistency
My current Athlon is a tank and has tracked true. I really appreciate the time you spend here. This community is incredible to a new member with folks like yourself, who handle optics for a living.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug