• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decisions: 14.5" or 16" Mod 1 SR-15

Charger442

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 2, 2010
    South Texas
    i own both. 14.5" is pinned and welded with an NT-4 MAMS, which i run my NT4 suppressor on. the 16" is set up the same way.

i am probably going to send one of these to a new home soon but torn on which one. Not my only ARs, but they are the only two Knights i own.

Which should i keep?

16 doesn't do anything 14.5 doesn't. Given current market conditions, I absolutely understand selling one.

Sell the 16. You don't need it.

Is the 14.5” upper an original Mod 1 with the dimpled heavy contour barrel or a 16” cut to 14.5”?
    If it is the former, you should sell that one. To me.
    Seriously though, I would keep both. You stated that you have other AR’s. I would sell pretty much anything else AR related before getting rid of any KAC stuff.

Reactions: Charger442
    It depends on what you do with them. I tend to shoot my 16" SR15 at longer distances in a DMR/Recce role and like the bump in velocity over my 14.5 BCM.

I am kinda on the keep them both train. But, if I had to choose. I’d keep the 14.5”. 16” easier to sell to someone that doesn’t have or doesn’t want to run the KAC suppressor. Plus 14.5 does everything a 16 will do.

If I could only have 1... I'd keep the 14.5, but you already have both, so I'd keep them both and sell some other ARs if you really need to get rid of something.

Reactions: Charger442
    3 months later and im still on the fence about this. i need to gather all my AR's up into a pile and start the sorting.

i also have a couple of m16A1 clones i built using parts kits from SARCO a couple of years ago. not sure if they are actually worth much of anything, but they do have original SP1 take-off barrels on them. so many decisions to make. ...

Keep both SR15s, convert the 14.5 pin/weld job to a 11.5”, put a PEQ15 on it for night use and run the 16” as more of a recce with an LPVO. Sell your other ARs if you need to.

Do you mind me asking why you are hesitant ? ( No offense intended at all )

If it is because they are both KAC, I get it... And no need to answer.

I have few uppers that I very rarely shoot... even got a OEM BCM LtWt. barreled EAG upper that has barely been used. I have held on to it more for respect towards Pat Rogers, than for practical reasons.... Still got my first 20" HBAR "Target" A2 Colt, God knows why , I never shoot it.
    VSeven barreled 16"... never shoot it. ( Geez, maybe I need to clean out my Gun Safe Jenga, Lol )

I understand it is tough to sell any personally desired AR stuff.

If you do have a pile of AR's , I wouldn't start selling from the top ones... I would sell any "basic" ones. Maybe the ones that have been well used, the next person could always change any parts to suit their desires.

Good Luck !!

Reactions: camocorvette
    I’ve got a 14.5. I’d keep the 14.5. It will do anything a 16 inch will. Plus 14.5 isn’t a musket with a suppressor on there. I have a Sandman K in jail right now. Mine is pin and welded too. The 14.5 is the best of the SR15 according to most people. Supposedly the soft shooting, but I don’t have each to compare too.