• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dedicated 22LR SBR upper

Kansas_Born

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2011
Brownsburg, Indiana
I’m converting my AR pistol with a brace to a form 1 sbr. I already have a 556 upper and would like a dedicated 22lr upper. It will be suppressed 100% of the time and was wondering what is your go to barrel/twist rate for short 22’s?
Any advise on a 22lr conversion kit? There are a bunch out there and they don’t seem that different. I’m leaning towards the CMMG kit.

I used a Stag left handed conversion kit and had Clint Beyer (http://beyerbarrels.com/) modify the barrel extension and make me a custom 4.5” barrel. I believe it’s 1 in 16 twist, I run it exclusively with a Liberty Kodiak TL and CCI standard velocity ammo. I’ve got over 15K rounds through the setup and it works perfectly. It will run any ammo I’ve tried, but the CCI standard is subsonic. I would highly recommend a dedicated barrel over a .223 barrel and conversion bolt adapter. Clint makes a 1 in 9 twist for heavier 60 grain bullets, but mine works great at 1 in 16.

Attachments

• E26994AD-1168-4F82-8FDB-2B8A95C665ED.jpeg
    E26994AD-1168-4F82-8FDB-2B8A95C665ED.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: Kansas_Born
I used a Stag left handed conversion kit and had Clint Beyer (http://beyerbarrels.com/) modify the barrel extension and make me a custom 4.5” barrel. I believe it’s 1 in 16 twist, I run it exclusively with a Liberty Kodiak TL and CCI standard velocity ammo. I’ve got over 15K rounds through the setup and it works perfectly. It will run any ammo I’ve tried, but the CCI standard is subsonic. I would highly recommend a dedicated barrel over a .223 barrel and conversion bolt adapter. Clint makes a 1 in 9 twist for heavier 60 grain bullets, but mine works great at 1 in 16.

That’s is one sexy rifle! I’m looking for something close to that. I have some research to do. Thank you!

I have two Nordic Components uppers that run like champs! Unfortunately I believe these may once again be unobtanium. :(

One thing I do know is if you plan on using bulk pack ammo (~1200fps) and you want it to be subsonic (~1050fps) you will only want a 4.0 inch barrel.

I've had great luck with a dedicated 22 upper built using a CMMG kit similar to the one @smokin.338 linked to, just with a longer barrel. I run a Better-Mag adapter from boonie packer in the lower. The adapter lets you use M&P 15-22 magazines and they are far superior to the standard 22lr AR mag made by CMMG/Blackdog/ect..

The little rifle runs like a top. The M&P mags + adapter allow the bolt catch to function exactly as it would in 223 rifle, something you don't get with other 22ar conversions.

CMMG also makes a 22lr specific charging handle that prevents cases causing malfunctions by jumping up into the space where the gas key would be on a DI gun:

And I used an upper with a gas deflector and shortened dust cover, but I don't think it was necessary:

Last edited:
The CMMG's break firing pins with regularity at about 1200 rounds, but other than that work pretty well with the right ammo (I have 3, one SBR'd with 4.5" bbl). Just make sure you always have a couple of spare firing pins handy.

The Nordic's are better, and more reliable with mixed ammo, but are hard to find sometimes. (I have 3 of them also, one SBR with 4.5" bbl). Never broken a FP yet on them. Look for a used DPMS upper (made by Nordic) sometimes you can catch a deal on one, then send the bbl off and have it cut/threaded to 4.5" for $65. I bought my last one for $250 from the AR15.com classifieds.

I run the SBR's 100% suppressed with Franklin binary triggers.......most fun you can have with your clothes on!!

I ordered an upper from JSE and think that this cmmg barrel is the one that I’m going to go with. I need to take some measurements and see if one of the rails that I have will work or I f I need to order a different one. https://www.cmmginc.com/product/barrel-and-bolt-group-kit-4-5-mt-4140cm-22lr/
I’m still waiting on my efiled form 1 to come back on my suppressor so no rush on the barrel. Thanks for the input!

I have a custom 12.5" Keystone Accuracy Green Mountain 22lr AR side charging upper. Uses the CMMG bolt, but not their barrel insert piece. The barrel extension is custom made with extractor grooved and feed ramp all machined in. I have 5000+ through it and it runs flawless. I run Black Dog mags with the metal deed lips and I have a 50rd drum. Very accurate barrel. Never broke a single firing pin or heard of that happening. I have 2 buddies that also have Keystone AR uppers who havent broke firing pins either.

I built my son a 16" upper using a Green Mountain 16" 5.56 barrel with the full CMMG 22lr conversion kit which also runs great.

Last edited:
I have a custom 12.5" Keystone Accuracy Green Mountain 22lr AR side charging upper. Uses the CMMG bolt, but not their barrel insert piece. The barrel extension is custom made with extractor grooved and feed ramp all machined in. I have 5000+ through it and it runs flawless. I run Black Dog mags with the metal deed lips and I have a 50rd drum. Very accurate barrel. Never broke a single firing pin or heard of that happening. I have 2 buddies that also have Keystone AR uppers who havent broke firing pins either.

I built my son a 16" upper using a Green Mountain 16" 5.56 barrel with the full CMMG 22lr conversion kit which also runs great.

That side charger is pretty slick!

Mine. Extremely accurate. No stamp required. I've ordered a second TB 22 TakeDown so this can have a dedicated can.

Tactical Solutions.

IMG_0344.jpeg

Ignore the toe. :giggle:

There firing pin on my Tikka T1x broke the night before the match. I ended up installing/sighting in this scope on site for a PRS .22 match with targets simulating near 1000 yards. It was me, not the gun, holding me back. My SW MP15-22 in not even close in accuracy. I moved this scope off that rifle to shoot this shot barrel because I believed it would be much more accurate than the MP. Not only was it more accurate, it was surprisingly accurate shooting Lapua Center X.

PS. The rifle is also a take down. Not sure how well zero will hold after taking it down and putting it back together but it shouldn't take much to get it back to zero as I can only imagine a .1 or two off after breaking it down and putting it back together.

And apparently this thread got off topic and I took it way off.

On topic, I'd go w/ a SW MP15-22 and re-barrel it w/ a short barrel and skip the upper conversion. You'll have basically the same thing w/ easy to find and reliable magazines. I put a geissele SSA-E in mine to mimic my other ARs. I actually have two and like them very much. Not a precision rifle out of the box but out to 100 would be adequate.

Mine. Extremely accurate. No stamp required. I've ordered a second TB 22 TakeDown so this can have a dedicated can.

Tactical Solutions.

View attachment 7132299
Ignore the toe. :giggle:

There firing pin on my Tikka T1x broke the night before the match. I ended up installing/sighting in this scope on site for a PRS .22 match with targets simulating near 1000 yards. It was me, not the gun, holding me back. My SW MP15-22 in not even close in accuracy. I moved this scope off that rifle to shoot this shot barrel because I believed it would be much more accurate than the MP. Not only was it more accurate, it was surprisingly accurate shooting Lapua Center X.

PS. The rifle is also a take down. Not sure how well zero will hold after taking it down and putting it back together but it shouldn't take much to get it back to zero as I can only imagine a .1 or two off after breaking it down and putting it back together.

And apparently this thread got off topic and I took it way off.

On topic, I'd go w/ a SW MP15-22 and re-barrel it w/ a short barrel and skip the upper conversion. You'll have basically the same thing w/ easy to find and reliable magazines. I put a geissele SSA-E in mine to mimic my other ARs. I actually have two and like them very much. Not a precision rifle out of the box but out to 100 would be adequate.

What’s the length on that 10-22? Looks shorter than 16 to my eyes. I’m looking at the cz 457 for a 22 rifle. I have a marlin 60 but that’s not going to work well for a suppressor host. I love the fact that you can do anything to rugars. So much support for them in general.

I just ordered the M&P mag adapter, can’t believe I’ve never seen that before.

As for the charging handle, I’ve seen others fill in the underside with JB weld or epoxy to minimize the cases getting up there. Mine runs like a sewing machine mag dump after mag dump, so I’ve never worried about it.

Damn this thread, I’ve never really paid attention to the Franklin binary triggers, now I want a couple for this .22 and my Scorpion.

I've had great luck with a dedicated 22 upper built using a CMMG kit similar to the one @smokin.338 linked to, just with a longer barrel. I run a Better-Mag adapter from boonie packer in the lower. The adapter lets you use M&P 15-22 magazines and they are far superior to the standard 22lr AR mag made by CMMG/Blackdog/ect..

The little rifle runs like a top. The M&P mags + adapter allow the bolt catch to function exactly as it would in 223 rifle, something you don't get with other 22ar conversions.

CMMG also makes a 22lr specific charging handle that prevents cases causing malfunctions by jumping up into the space where the gas key would be on a DI gun:

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
The firing pin breaking on CMMG's is probably FCG related , the binary triggers are running at full auto speeds and I've broken 4 fp's on my SBR, all at +or- 1200 rounds, CMMG will send out new ones under warranty, but it will ruin a day at the range if you don't have a spare.
I've also broken 2 fp's with Geissle trigger's on my longer guns (running full power hammer springs).
My son has broken one also in a conversion kit and I know of several more broken in conversion kits. I'm sure all the conversion kits were running mil spec FCG's.

A light hammer spring may help, if they will reliably ignite your ammo.

What’s the length on that 10-22? Looks shorter than 16 to my eyes. I’m looking at the cz 457 for a 22 rifle. I have a marlin 60 but that’s not going to work well for a suppressor host. I love the fact that you can do anything to rugars. So much support for them in general.

W/ the muzzle 'cage', it's a legal 16.5". The actual rifled portion of the barrel is about 10.5".