• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dedicated AR-15 .22LR Upper Builds

308ftWIN

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2018
I have an M&P 15-22 but it doesn't provide a similar experience to my go-to AR-15. The CMMG conversion kits look okay but lack accuracy and are dirty. I've got an extra PSA upper here just begging to get put to use so let's go for it. Would love to see what you've put together and what you like/don't like about your builds.

Anyone find a combo with really good accuracy? 16-20" barrel would be my preference.

Will CCI Std Velocity cycle?

I think I'd like it to use my M&P 15-22 mags unless otherwise necessary.

Thanks!

Yes I have found an excellent combo. Have been building them for a couple years now. Beyer ultra light barrel with cmmg 22arc stainless bolt. The bolt comes with a barrel collar that fits over the barrel. It runs with black dog magazines. In the 7 have built I dont think I have ever had a malfunction.

The barrel.is a match grade barrel that is sleeved inside 7075 aluminum liner. They are threaded 1/2-28. The chamber is designed around the cci standard velocity bullet. I have tested at length and match grade ammo shoots no better. Expect 5 shots in a nickel at 50 yds off bags. And you might just find a like new one in the classifieds ;)

Forgot to add that I run my rigs both suppressed and unsuppressed. No issues.

@nakoa01 thanks for the recommendation. So if I buy a Beyer barrel and an arc bolt/collar and a redi-mag adapter I'll be up and running with my handguard of choice?

Thanks again.

Have Frank White from Compass Lake fix up a barrel kit for you.
9040C8F7-D942-4BD9-9FD0-FB7D1F2AEA6A.jpeg
27E0212B-7D0F-4A4D-A6D2-56A7F175CADF.jpeg

Been wanting a plinking AR 22 upper but too many people have issues with cycling. Maybe I will start looking at the options again.

Honestly, I’ve owned this barrel/bolt/mag kit for over 15 yrs and I don’t recall any feeding/cycling issues. It’s been enjoyable to shoot and now even more so.

@nakoa01 thanks for the recommendation. So if I buy a Beyer barrel and an arc bolt/collar and a redi-mag adapter I'll be up and running with my handguard of choice?

Thanks again.

Dont have to use the redi mag unless your want to run 15-22 mags. If you want to run those mags then should be good to go. I run black dog and it runs like a sewing machine. All of mine do

I have an M&P 15-22 but it doesn't provide a similar experience to my go-to AR-15. The CMMG conversion kits look okay but lack accuracy and are dirty. I've got an extra PSA upper here just begging to get put to use so let's go for it. Would love to see what you've put together and what you like/don't like about your builds.

Anyone find a combo with really good accuracy? 16-20" barrel would be my preference.

Will CCI Std Velocity cycle?

I think I'd like it to use my M&P 15-22 mags unless otherwise necessary.

Thanks!

I recently put together a JP 22LR barrel and bolt kit on a spare upper that I had laying around (16", which JP had in stock, and duplicates the majority of my gas guns). It uses Black Dog mags like the above options. My only real gripe is that the bolt isn't held open on the last round with the bolt catch, but is held partially open by the magazine follower - until the mag is dropped. At which point the bolt closes as well. Other than that, it functioned flawlessly with match/subsonic ammo, and the whole kit is typical JP quality.

Accuracy wise, I tried probably 10 different types of ammo that my CZ and Vudoo like, and was fairly disappointed. SK Standard+ did OK, but not relative to the bolt guns. I was about to give up and head home, when on a whim I decided to try some CenterX (I was hoping to avoid the more spendy choices). Six 5 shot groups (6X5) averaged .47" at 50 yards (off of a bipod and rear bag). Still nearly twice what the V22's and 457's can do, but not horrible for my purposes. Anyway, just my 2 cents as an option (and yes, CCI SV cycled fine, just was not particularly accurate).

Reactions: bhoges and nakoa01
Dont have to use the redi mag unless your want to run 15-22 mags. If you want to run those mags then should be good to go. I run black dog and it runs like a sewing machine. All of mine do

Already have a stack of 15-22 mags so I'll run with those. Thanks!

Reactions: nakoa01
I recently put together a JP 22LR barrel and bolt kit on a spare upper that I had laying around (16", which JP had in stock, and duplicates the majority of my gas guns). It uses Black Dog mags like the above options. My only real gripe is that the bolt isn't held open on the last round with the bolt catch, but is held partially open by the magazine follower - until the mag is dropped. At which point the bolt closes as well. Other than that, it functioned flawlessly with match/subsonic ammo, and the whole kit is typical JP quality.

Accuracy wise, I tried probably 10 different types of ammo that my CZ and Vudoo like, and was fairly disappointed. SK Standard+ did OK, but not relative to the bolt guns. I was about to give up and head home, when on a whim I decided to try some CenterX (I was hoping to avoid the more spendy choices). Six 5 shot groups (6X5) averaged .47" at 50 yards (off of a bipod and rear bag). Still nearly twice what the V22's and 457's can do, but not horrible for my purposes. Anyway, just my 2 cents as an option (and yes, CCI SV cycled fine, just was not particularly

To get an AR, 10/22 to shoot with a cz or tikka your going to spend over a grand likely. I have owned 2 kidds. And with center x they will shoot amazing. But put center x in a cz 457 stock or tikka stock and you will be way money ahead. Just depends if you want a semi or not.

I have a Savage B22 FV that is no slouch. This is just for fun, I may even try some thermals on the build for rodents.

Reactions: nakoa01
Here’s another one for you, though this one is a dedicated 22LR rifle and not just an upper.

842D8A53-F5DA-4146-8421-AB0F9E612078.jpeg

John at Keystone did the barrel & CMMG modification work
Shilen Select Match Ratchet 4 22.5” barrel
Compass Lake forearm
Vortex Viper PST 4x16-50 EBR1 FFP
Timney 4 lb. trigger
Ergo grip
Luth AR buttstock
Harrel tuner
Harris bipod
Area419 arca swiss bipod parts (soon a new Area419 10“ arcalock rail)
Ambi paddle safety
Catch22 bolt hold open

Weight as shown is 11.4 lbs.

Except for barrel length and forearm, well and the Harrel tuner of course, it matches my AR-10 in feel, weight and trigger.

Mine has a pretty tight chamber (52D), so I do need to clean the chamber/bore every 150-200 rounds for it to cycle like a sewing machine. The moment a round fails to fully chamber it’s too late and at the moment that starts to happen with SK LR+ at ~225-250 rounds.

Really it’s just the chamber and leade to the rifling that need cleaning as it gets carbon caked pretty quickly. I’m still tuning mags, buts that’s for my own edification as (I think) the Black Dog metal feed lips could be a bit smoother.

After a thorough cleaning, I shoot 5 rounds or so, then load her up and start shooting for real. Using a bob sled magazine, it’ll one hole with 10+ rounds at 50 yards indoors, prone and from a bipod & rear bag. I can only hope to do my part when I’m outdoors...

John

Reactions: long range sponge
If you want a plinking (similar accuracy to a regular carbine) look at barrel and bolt combos from 2a armament.

Easily dings the 4” gong at 50 yds with doubles and triples. Runs on cci minimags or fed automatch.
Mult barrel lengths available.

If you want to scope and chase accuracy, I would for sure look at the Beyer, CLE, or Keystone.
One of them wont sell just the barrel for you to assemble your own. Just cant remember who.

Long time lurker here...
decided to build another dedicated 22 upper. My first is a Spike’s from circa 2008 with a Lothar Wather 16” M4 barrel. I tried a CMMG Bravo kit over the weekend in a LuthAR 18 1x9 s/s barreled upper but the groups were terrible and stopped shooting after 100 rounds.
I looked at Lothar Walther again and found a 16” barrel for $199. I ordered it and a CMMG collar from Midway. My lower is a Spike‘s lower with Giessele trigger and UBR.
I’m not sure if I’ll pull the Luth AR upper apart or jus build another. My Spike‘s shoots great and I have no problems until it starts getting real dirty. I’m building the second rifle because my wife likes to shoot against me. She’s a very good shot and I’ve cooked her more than one dinner and cleaned the bathroom on more than one occasion after she won the world domination shoot off.

Reactions: danr
Have 2 dedicated uppers, first one is a 16" 1st generation Nordic, zero problems. Just built an upper using the CMMG Bravo/Evo stainless group with a 1:16" Lothar Walther dedicated barrel, Odin O2 Lite 12.5" handguard, Anderson upper receiver, Primary Arms Rimfire 1-6x ACSS scope. The conversion went 100rds with no issues but, had to file down the CMMG insert to correct headspace and also polished and deburred the bolt guide rails with a ruby stone.

If you want a plinking (similar accuracy to a regular carbine) look at barrel and bolt combos from 2a armament.

Easily dings the 4” gong at 50 yds with doubles and triples. Runs on cci minimags or fed automatch.
Mult barrel lengths available.

If you want to scope and chase accuracy, I would for sure look at the Beyer, CLE, or Keystone.
One of them wont sell just the barrel for you to assemble your own. Just cant remember who.

The AR-22 page on their site comes up blank. I need to get a 22 upper mainly for teaching manipulation to the old lady. Doesn't need to be precision. What other options are there?

The AR-22 page on their site comes up blank. I need to get a 22 upper mainly for teaching manipulation to the old lady. Doesn't need to be precision. What other options are there?

If you looking for "just a trainer;" Tippmann M4-22lr (full weight) or S&W 15-22 (light weight) would be my choice. Fun guns, mimic the AR-15 manual of arms perfectly and accurate enough.

Last edited:
Dedicated 22build. Seekins Precission billet upper and lower, CMMG bolt, Hiperfire 24E trigger, Beyer 18” barrel, Magpul PRS stock, and Noveske NSR handguard. Cycles perfectly with standard velocity ammo. Since this picture was taken I have swapped scope for a Vortex Viper HST 6-24X50

Attachments

• 7C13E55B-C680-4B45-B9F0-D460A008A57C.jpeg
    7C13E55B-C680-4B45-B9F0-D460A008A57C.jpeg
    579.9 KB · Views: 271
I have one of the CLE A2 22lr uppers. The mags (insert into standard mag) are a little bit finicky, but it really does shoot well. Very fun to play/practice with.

Here’s my newest dedicated AR22-
Spikes lower with Geissele G2S trigger, A2 stock, and VZ grips FDE pistol grip, Catch 22 bolt catch. Upper is FDE Aero upper with Lothar Wather dedicated 16” barrel, CMMG 22 bolt, collar, bore buddy weight kit, Strike Industries 10” FDE rail, Bushnell 6x24 Engage scope in LaRue mount, and Harris bipod on LaRue bipod adaptor.
BD3B87C1-65A7-46BF-828F-D3C1681A35F9.jpeg

86FEBA15-E6C2-4927-9500-0AC8C5A9D983.jpeg

Here’s my newest dedicated AR22-
Spikes lower with Geissele G2S trigger, A2 stock, and VZ grips FDE pistol grip, Catch 22 bolt catch. Upper is FDE Aero upper with Lothar Wather dedicated 16” barrel, CMMG 22 bolt, collar, bore buddy weight kit, Strike Industries 10” FDE rail, Bushnell 6x24 Engage scope in LaRue mount, and Harris bipod on LaRue bipod adaptor.
View attachment 7503518
View attachment 7503519
Hey, where’s the gas block! 🤣

Reactions: Str8shuutr45
If you looking for "just a trainer;" Tippmann M4-22lr (full weight) or S&W 15-22 (light weight) would be my choice. Fun guns, mimic the AR-15 manual of arms perfectly and accurate enough.
I went the Tippmann route. It's comparable in cost to a dedicated upper and a great shooting gun.