• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Dedicated Suppressors for 223/556, 224 Valkyrie, and 6.5 Creedmoor?

Fattygabbiee

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2017
Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for helping with my original choices late last year. I have a Dead Air Sandman S for my KAC SR15 and Bowers Vers 9s for my CZ Scorpion but both are in jail still (check cashed 1/10/18) so still a long way to go. I chose the Sandman S for the KAC as I wanted low back pressure to match the intermediate gas systen, great tone, warranty, and minimal gas to the face.

As such, I have decided to purchase a suppressor for each firarm and keep them on 100% of the time so I can avoid constant switching.

I don’t plan on getting any 308/762 firearms anytime soon and will sticking to 223/556, 224 Valkyrie, and 6.5 Creedmoor. I won’t be running and gunning, hunting or entering PRS competitions. I will shoot primarily from a bench or prone and mostly stay stationary. I do plan on mag dumps to have fun when I am in the eastern part of my state so getting a full titanium can for the AR15s is somewhat scary. I will always be wearing ear pro (actually ear plugs and over the ear muffs).

My priorities are still the same when I chose the Sandman S: at the ear numbers, tone, minimal gas to the fast, low back pressure, and warranty. Weight isn’t an issue since the guns will be resting on Dog Gone Good front and rear sand bags. If I do have to shoot upright, I have fired my friends 20” AR-15 with a Rugged Surge and I didn’t feel it was too heavy. I am guessing the Sandman S will feel somewhat similar.

Here are my hosts and current considerations:
  • 6.5 Creedmoor bolt action – TBAC Ultra 9 6.5 CB, Dead Air Sandman L, Sig SRD 762 QD TI, Q Thunder Chicken
  • 223 Wylde 20” Bartlein AR15 with an SLR AGB – Dead Air Sandman S, Sig SRD 556 QD
  • 224 Valkyrie 20” Rock Creek AR15 with an SLR AGB – Dead Air Sandman S, Sig SRD 556 QD
I could keep everything in the Sandman family for the AR15s and go with the TBAC Ultra 9 for the 6.5 Creedmoor. The TBAC speaks for itself: precise, minimal POI/POA shift, great sound and suppression, made for bolt guns, and phenomenal CS.

The Sandman L is much heavier but not sure that matters on a bolt gun that will just sit there 100% of the time.

I have been doing my best to read about the Q and Sig suppressors and sounds like the Thunder Chicken and SRD 762 QD TI are solid choices but I’d like to continue to read more.

My 6.5 Creedmoor barrel isn’t tapered so I can’t get the Full Nelson or Sig SRD 762 TI. If I have decide to get a 308, the Dead Air, Q, or Sig will be future proof.

As for considering the Sig SRD 556 QD, from the few reviews out there it sounds like a great suppressor for 223/556: low back pressure, not much gas to the face, good tone, a few ounces lighter than the Sandman S, and a bit more internal volume. And getting two of them vs two Sandman S saves about $400 bucks which is a good amount of ammo.

And here’s something that might be too good to be true. My local outdoor store that’s been around for 20 years has a Sig 762 QD TI for $650 dollars. I thought it was an error and asked multiple times and they said yes that’s the price. I asked if I could see the suppressor and it said 762 QD TI on it as did the box which was dated November 2016. This is a mom and pop store and they aren’t known for selling suppressors. I wonder if they mispriced it or trying to get rid of it. Is there a way to absolutely confirm it’s the right model? I am going there again tomorrow to take a photo of the box, the suppressor and price to make sure. If it’s legit, that’s $400 dollars off any price on the Internet.

Thanks again for your help. FYI…in the last month, you all have helped me get new optics, 223/556 ammo, a 223 bolt gun, and now even more goodies.

Best,
Fattygabbiee