• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s DEDUCTIVE REASONING As We Age

vwhugger

The Kindly Curmudgeon
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2003
NW WI
As I enjoy retirement, and find myself slowing down, I sometimes look for opportunities to keep my deductive reasoning skills sharp.

Yesterday I raked some leaves, and after doing so I sat down and had a nice cold beer. The day was gorgeous, and the brew facilitated some deep thinking on various topics.

After a while, for some inexplicable reason, I began to ponder the age-old question: "Is giving birth more painful than getting kicked in the nuts? Women always maintain that giving birth is way more painful.

Well, after a second beer, and some reasonably serious deductive thinking, I came up with my answer to that question. Getting kicked in the nuts is more painful than having a baby ...... and here is the reasoning behind my conclusion.

A year or so after giving birth, a woman will often say, "It might be nice to have another child."

On the other hand, you never hear a guy say, "You know, I think I would like another kick in the nuts."

I rest my case . . . over 60, and still sharp as a tack.

Sorry to nitpick, but that's actually not deductive reasoning right there. That's what's called abductive reasoning (a species of probabilistic reasoning akin to induction, whereas deduction is about "mathematical necessity" as found in theorems and the like).

I know, I know--it's just that I teach logic for a living and can't help it. I've also been caught counting commas on occasion. 'Scuse me--I'll just go take my meds now...

-David

Sorry to nitpick, but that's actually not deductive reasoning right there. That's what's called abductive reasoning (a species of probabilistic reasoning akin to induction, whereas deduction is about "mathematical necessity" as found in theorems and the like).

I know, I know--it's just that I teach logic for a living and can't help it. I've also been caught counting commas on occasion. 'Scuse me--I'll just go take my meds now...

-David

OMG, there's just gotta be one in every crowd!! It's party time!! Now where's that blanket?