• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jigstick

“What’s the matter colonel sanders….chicken?”
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    Opening up a new property for white tail hunting here in PA. Already have some food plot locations planned out. I would like to purchase 2 feeders to supplement / pattern the deer over the winter.

who makes a nice feed thrower? The drum style with the programmable auger on the bottom. I don’t want to purchase some cheap Chinese dogfuck that’s going to rust out and fall apart in a year.

I’ve had decent luck with Moultrie standard tripod feeders. Except for squirrels chewing through the plastic and bears pulling the varmint guard off.

VP at work uses the ones with the bases holding 500 pounds with the auger running up and throwing out. I forget the name brand. They’re quite durable.

I’ve experimented with numerous food plots in different locations, plantings, and soil prep. The single best thing I can recommend is the soil test and soil prep. I do favor Whitetail Institute products.

Boss Buck. Either automatic feeding or gravity style. I've had one for several years now and the squirrels haven't told it anything.

Been having good luck with the Banks gravity feeders.

High quality stuff and they last in a good windstorm

Does Agway or Tractor Supply sell a decent balanced feed to use? Not looking to just feed pure corn. Looking for something with some balance to it.

Ranch King or All Seasons Feeders. Get a stand and fill, and go 600-1,000lbs. You'll fill her once every 4-5 months.
    Depends on the number of deer. That would literally last about 3 weeks here with 1000 pounds in it. As far as feed. I've found that cattle feed mixed with the corn has been a decent choice. I use about 100 pounds with every 200 pounds of corn. Generally 20% protein 5/16 pellets. I get it at the feed store I buy the corn from.

Depends on the number of deer. That would literally last about 3 weeks here with 1000 pounds in it. As far as feed. I've found that cattle feed mixed with the corn has been a decent choice. I use about 100 pounds with every 200 pounds of corn. Generally 20% protein 5/16 pellets. I get it at the feed store I buy the corn from.

Good point, but as I read it, he’s trying to move deer across the property, not feed the entire tribe 3 squares a day.

Texas hunter products makes the best feeders. We have 4 of there heads on are lease for over 12yrs all the parts are replaceable. We built the drums, and bought the funnels,spinners and solar panels from them. Highly recommend them

We also have a gravity feeder that we don’t like due the fact they can eat anytime and it becomes nocturnal feeding station really fast

I use trashcans. The big ones. Cut a half moon in the bottom at the front. Hold about 600 lbs and is very portable. But a limb on top while your brushing it in. Works like a champ. I build a 1inch platform to sit them on just enough to get them off the ground a little.

I have one of the game winner 600lb feeders, I’ll never buy another moultrie. It’s been running good for over two years, not even a battery change.
    I feed protein and corn mixed 50-50 and it handles it fine.

I use On-Time slingers, and 55 gal. drum on a tripod. As far as gravity feeders go, I haven't had good luck with, the fucking squirrels will make short work of plastic when it runs out of grain. So where I use gravity feeders, I just use some old metal dog feeders, cheap, and the rodents can't eat the damn thing. Now sometimes when it's out of feed the deer will wrestle it off the tree I have it bungied to, and roll it around, but they've never really hurt one.

Feeders need sturdy construction, a spring loaded broadcaster, a varmint proof broadcaster, and a frame that is hog proof.
    Here are my proven choices:

600 lb old timer

Both can be staked with fence posts.

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
    Opening up a new property for white tail hunting here in PA. Already have some food plot locations planned out. I would like to purchase 2 feeders to supplement / pattern the deer over the winter.

who makes a nice feed thrower? The drum style with the programmable auger on the bottom. I don’t want to purchase some cheap Chinese dogfuck that’s going to rust out and fall apart in a year.
    All American Deer Feeders. I have had the same feeder in service for the last 6 years and have replace the battery 1 time and the corn is never damp

can't go wrong with moultrie, i've got a few of the gravity tripods listed here: https://naturesglade.com/the-compre...enefits-and-choosing-the-perfect-one-for-you/

one thing i think you need with a tripod to make it go from good to great is leg blocks or whatever works with you to stop squirrels. leg blocks/funnels make it the easiest though cause you can quickly install them and be on your way. save yourself the headache and get them immediately when you get a tripod

Is it going to spread more rapidly or less with concentrated feeding?

Ive had good luck with the Moultree 30 gallon metal drum feeders in the past if you dont need a large capacity feeder.
    The only issues i had was with bears, one of mine i never found the drum just the broken metal legs and bits and pieces of the elecctronics and motor.
    Got some good trail cam picks of the fat bastard destroying it though.

moultrie timer run it to the motor craps replace motor with a traxxss motor tan that for 5 years before I was stupid and put it on the girlfriend at the time parents place . Never got it back .
    Never once jammed up with the traxxas .
    I’d get my corn or beans off the combine from the neighbor so would have stuff in it .

I have the HB stand & fill feeder. Unfortunately, it came with one of “THE TIMER” units
    that was part of a bad batch of defective units. It was replaced with no hassle & has running great ever since. All & all I am very happy with it. In general I think the stand & fill feeders are the best invention since round bales of hay!!!

Texas Hunter products for deer feeders worth every penny. Been running the same units for 15 plus years. every component is replaceable.