• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Deer hunting w/air rifles

Re: Deer hunting w/air rifles

I think people have been using charged airguns to take down dangerous game in Africa for a long time.

I'm not sure I would be willing to give it a whirl, but I'd like to see how it worked out.

Kelly

No Thanks, Just something about the report of a rifle on opening morning and the smell of burnt powder.

Well that's great! Now felons can have fun too!

Interesting....now if they had a suppressor on them, this could open other opportunities.

you need to try a DAYSTATE or FX IN S .25 with a 60 to 80 ft lb PCP gun --it will drop a coyote at 100yds and is highly accurate by any standard--(felons do not buy 2000$ air rifles)
LOL
talk to KIP at Arizona Airguns--u will not be sorry

I think that is awesome. It would allow hunting in areas that would other wise be off limits, and simply offer another way to humanely take game.

Pussy factor? I don't see how its any different than bow or muzzle loader hunting. Honestly, if you want to look at it that way, I would say taking a deer at 250 with the high powered rifle is the pussy avenue by comparison. Hunting/stalking verses live target shooting.

Pussy factor is when a guy with a shotgun or a centerfire is putting FOOD on the ground, then sitting on a tree and shooting a deer at point blank range. There is no challenge here, sportsmanship, or marksmanship... only stupidity.

Seriously, big bore airguns have been around for a long long time. Lewis and Clark used them to kill deer and so did Napoleon. Back when Napoleon invaded Russia, in 1812, he gave an order to his soldiers to execute any civilian on the spot if he/she is found with an airgun. He considered them assassins. Very little noise compared to firearms, and most importantly, there was NO smoke.
Nowadays these a lot more powerful of course, some of them work on 4000+PSI pressure. The most well-known are custom guns made by Dennis Quackenbush, BGMF, and Jack Haley. Some guys shoot steel out to 300 yards or/and hunt out to 100. Been there, done that. How would you like 600 FPE out of an airgun and more opportunities to hunt in places where using of a firearm is out of question?

http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/

http://www.americanairgunhunter.com/lasso2010.html

http://www.pyramydair.com/big-bore-shoot-2008.shtml

The author in that article needs to take a physics lesson...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This has a couple of practical implications for air-gun hunters. First, they cannot shoot as far as hunters using conventional rifles. Bullets begin falling the moment they leave the muzzle, so a bullet traveling one quarter as fast as a modern rifle bullet drops four times as far in the time it takes to reach the target.</div></div>

More like it takes 4x's as long to get there (under short distances) so the drop is actually 16x's more.

D=at^2 with D0=0 and V0=0 in the vertical plane.

Otherwise, this is not a new concept and it's quite lethal. My dad hunts with a suppressed 44 caliber rifle shooting our wildcat and 460gr cast bullets at 1000fps. You can hear the bones crush on a headshot when the rifle is suppressed.

It was just a generalization, bro, no need for mathematics lol. I have killed goats, pigs, deer, coyotes, foxes....with big bore airguns. These are fun, offer more hunting opportunities, no FFL or ATF crap to put up with, great challenge and satisfaction. Foot-pounds are foot-pounds, no matter what propells it :) Most likely, most of deer around the world are killed with .22LR producing 100+ FPE. What makes one think that an airgun producing 4x or 5x or 6x times more than a rimfire won't be able to? Don't remember any deer walking away on me after being hit with a 450 grain HP leaving the muzzle at 800 FPS...

i beleive there are very few or no restrictions on air rifle suppressors in most if not all states . sounds good to me .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264win</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i beleive there are very few or no restrictions on air rifle suppressors in most if not all states . sounds good to me . </div></div>

There are no federal restrictions if they are permanently attached.

VYD, you're right about the chill pill, stuff like that always makes me shake my head LOL

The only problem that I have for the endeavor is that I live in a state which allows suppressed firearms for hunting, so investing in a $600+ air rifle to do the same thing isn't fiscally viable to me. For places like Kommifornia or Illinois I think it's a great idea.

Kommifornia...LOL, that's funny :)

Actually $600 for an airgun is not that much. Steyr and Daystate guns run up to $2000+

Suppressors for airguns are fine where I live, don't know about other states. Airgunners call them shrouds because most of airguns don't require buffles, only the expansion chamber, some of them, like the second and third pictures, are full length.

HW100T2.jpg

Rapid5.jpg

R1VL.jpg

Those a nice looking rifles. The cheapest big bore hunting air rifle I found was going for about $600, but yes, $2k+ is easy to do.

I have a co-worker who shoots the extremely competitive 10m air rifle stuff... and we thought our precision rigs are expensive LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a co-worker who shoots the extremely competitive 10m air rifle stuff... and we thought our precision rigs are expensive LOL </div></div>

Your co-worker is a rich guy, those competition FWB and Anschutz guns are going for as much as $3500-4000.
For someone to spend that much on a ..."bb-gun," he has to be pretty nuts, eh? LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Don't remember any deer walking away on me after being hit with a 450 grain HP leaving the muzzle at 800 FPS...</div></div>
Ouch!
That would be impressive in my book, somewhat short range but still very impresive.
I would call that a mean 100 yard thumper.
Where's my air compressor?
I've got a no longer used stainless steel Knight 45 with a green mountain barrel that would be a great donor for an airgun project....
.......SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Your co-worker is a rich guy, those competition FWB and Anschutz guns are going for as much as $3500-4000.
For someone to spend that much on a ..."bb-gun," he has to be pretty nuts, eh? LOL. </div></div>

Yeah, I knew I shouldn't ask what his rig cost when he showed me a box of precision pellets. There were 100 in there, each packed in it's own separate foam cell. He said "if you drop it, don't bother to pick it up. It won't shoot and I don't want it in my rifle"