• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing deer hunting with 223?

prbulldog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2007
Puerto Rico
I tried search function, with no luck. I am going deer hunting
in central Texas next week. They told me it will be from stands and within 125 yds. Will a 223 do the job and also which bullet should I use?(Kac 16" with s&b short dot)

Re: deer hunting with 223?

A .223 will put a deer down no problem at that distance and much farther. The key to shooting the deer is do you feel confident in your equipment and yourself to make a well placed shot at that distance? You should use a good hunting bullet and the weight of the bullet will depend on what twist barrel you have.

if you are going to shoot them in the neck, use a frangible bullet like a 55gr NBT....

if you are wanting to put one in the boiler room (behind the shoulder) I would use a 60 partition or a 62gr TSX..

both will work. I have seen what the 55 gr bullet to the neck of a Texas whitetail will do.....drops them like a sack of potatoes!

I've shot plenty with 77 grain. Works just like it's supposed to. I put it right in the shoulder, they usually don't take a step after hit. I may lose a pound of meat by shooting there, but it's a nearly instant kill and I haven't had to track one yet.

I still go heart and lungs with my bow
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winmagfrog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shot plenty with 77 grain. Works just like it's supposed to. I put it right in the shoulder, they usually don't take a step after hit. I may lose a pound of meat by shooting there, but it's a nearly instant kill and I haven't had to track one yet.

I still go heart and lungs with my bow
wink.gif
</div></div>

What type of bullet SMK?

Our deer hunting load for the 223 is 23.5gr of Benchmark with a 69gr SMK loaded at 2.250 OAL so it fits into a mag.

Kills WT very well to 200yds.