• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Deer Hunting with a 6.5 Creedmoor Questions

bassani

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
Mandeville, LA
Looking for people out there that actually use this round for long range deer hunting shots.
What rounds do you find most effective for 500yds +

I don't run a Creedmore, but I run it's cousin, the .260. I use a 140 A-max to compete with as well as hunt with. Works well for both jobs.

have not shot a deer yet put have been shooting the 140 amax and plan on shooting at least 4 deer with it this fall. the 168 out of my 308 performed out to 580 with no problems so I don't see why the 140 wont do the same.

I shot an antelope with one at 376 last fall, worked very well. Had an exit wound about 1.5 inches and the dude dropped straight down. I would think the further you go the better they will be out to about 800 depending on altitude.

I shot 2 antelope last season with th 6.5CM....not as far out as your asking about ....both DRT...140Amax @ 2850. Plan on using the same load for my tags this year and hope to add a deer to the list as well.

129 SST has taken Elk over 600 yds w/the Creedmoore. Pick a bullet a good bullet from 129-140 and learn dope, everything will be fine :)

I have had excellent results from the 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 Rem with the following bullets
129 gr Hornady Interbond
125 gr Nosler Partition
130 gr Berger Hunting

Accuracy is outstanding with the 129 Interbond and the 130 Berger. Terminal performance is also outstanding. The 125 Partition can be a little more difficult to find accuracy...but performs extremely well. In general the 6.5's are some of, if not, the best performers for a hunting bullet on class 2 and class 3 game with the proper bullet. My data shows a 129 gr 6.5 bullet at +/- 2925 mv to have roughly 1240 ft pounds of energy at 500 yards. You be the judge if that is acceptable performance for your hunting situations.

Mine killed one deer at 500 yards, another at 525 yards, and a spike bull elk at 650 yards using 140 grain AMAX. The elk was pushing the rounds abilities. The first shot hit behind the shoulder and jellied his liver, but it didn't drop right away and he was staggering/turned quartering towards me and I sent another round. That hit him in the front shoulder and he dropped. I didn't think anything of it until I skinned it. The second round only penetrated about an inch into the muscle tissue. If that would've been the first round I may have never got a second shot. I built a 6.5 SAUM to try this year running the 130 Berger HVLD's. I will be elk/wolf hunting in Wyoming and then mule deer hunting in the Ruby mountains in Nevada. Looking forward to seeing how this one does! Good luck this fall!

i'll let you know in November.. lol I set up a stand that has a major deer highway at 490yds as well as about 75yds.

Here are some pics from last year with the Creedmoor with 140 AMAX.

Spike bull elk 650 yards

Little Forkie, my cousin got with my Creedmoor last year at 525 yards.

The rack in the center was taken at 500 yards by a cousin as well... if you are wondering, I shot the other little forkie with my lever 30/30 at 200 yards on the same hunt! :) I carry that heavy bastard and those a-holes got to shoot their deer at distance right from camp and my dumb ass ended up getting a little guy in the brush on the way back to camp. I always take a brush gun to take on hikes so that if I trip over one on the way in and twice it has come in handy and killed my deer for me. I was just wanting to put some meat in the freezer, not really horn hunting, I would have damn sure shot a bigger one if I saw it, but I most generally take what I have a shot at and be damn glad to get it! :)

Here is a yote I called in, actually called in three was only able to get a round into one, they were right on the tree line and as soon as the shot broke, they hauled ass and I never even saw the others again. I was happy with how the round performed didn't tear up the hide too bad.... 200 yards

41.6 Grains H4350, Hornady 140 AMAX loaded to 2.82" OAL

Last edited:
.... I built a 6.5 SAUM to try this year running the 130 Berger HVLD's. I will be elk/wolf hunting in Wyoming and then mule deer hunting in the Ruby mountains in Nevada. Looking forward to seeing how this one does! Good luck this fall!

I think you'll be in heaven with the SAUM. I run a 6.5WSM. Strictly a hunting stick. 130grn G05 Cutting Edge @3400fps. Mule deer @ 655yds & 'lope @ a measly 370yds- One & done.

Gotta love the 6.5. I picked up a Creedmoor this year as well, 600fps slower but crazy accurate little bugger.

t

6.5 SAUM Suppressed

I think you'll be in heaven with the SAUM. I run a 6.5WSM. Strictly a hunting stick. 130grn G05 Cutting Edge @3400fps. Mule deer @ 655yds & 'lope @ a measly 370yds- One & done.

Gotta love the 6.5. I picked up a Creedmoor this year as well, 600fps slower but crazy accurate little bugger.

Yea, so far I am liking it, I will feel better after it gets a few kills on it! :). I was struggling with accuracy early on with the 130 Berger HVLD's, (minute/minute and a half) was the best I could get out of it and it was inconsistent as hell. I was about to give up on it thinking my barrel was bunk until I stumbled on an article about OAL as it relates to Berger bullets primarily the VLD's. (Berger Bullets Seating Method for VLD Bullets - A "Sweet Spot" with a Long Bullet Jump will give the best accuracy.). Once I went through the process outlined in the article I found that in this rifle .063" off the lands is the "happy spot". It shoots bug holes at 100 yards now and I feel a hell of a lot better taking it up the mountain this fall! Good luck this fall!

The Creedmoor is a hell of a shooter too and I would not have a hesitation sending a round with that rifle out to 700-800 yards on a mule deer if conditions were right.

Don't own a 6.5CM.
But I have been getting it done for many years with a 6.5 Gibbs. The Berger 140 VLD is Thor's hammer on all game up to and including elk for me. Although shots on elk are best when limited to lung shots. Or shots avoiding large shoulder bones at extended distances.

Don't own a 6.5CM.
But I have been getting it done for many years with a 6.5 Gibbs. The Berger 140 VLD is Thor's hammer on all game up to and including elk for me. Although shots on elk are best when limited to lung shots. Or shots avoiding large shoulder bones at extended distances.

My father's pride & Joy is a 6.5-06AI & a good friend of mine is running the Gibbs. Good looking cartridges & they have been pretty easy to get accuracy from.

Nothing wrong with the Gibbs.

t