• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Defects in the glass. Should I send this scope in or live with it?

papershredder

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 23, 2021
in the land of Indiana
20240511_142402.jpg

Lower right quarter, just right of the vertical stadia below the reticle tree. Looks like bubbles in the glass. I've had this scope for almost three years now and just now noticed this because I rarely shoot below 12X, power setting in the pic is 5X, scope pointed at an off-white door so the glass bubbles hopefully show up better. Now I've looked through this scope below 12X at least a couple times in the past and never noticed them. Leaves me wondering if this is something that can develop over time or something that was always present and I just wasn't paying attention. Anyways, what are your thoughts, advise, opinions, jokes etc..... Send it in and have the manufacturer look at it (Tangent Theta btw) or just live with it like I have been? This isn't a complaint thread, just a mild concern, this scope has served me well.

There would be no point "just living with it" when you could send it in and the maker would have it fixed back to being perfect.

I can't really tell from the pictures but "bubbles in the glass" seems unlikely.
More likely would be lubrication coming out of place and getting onto the glass or a problem with a coating or such.

Either way you should get taken care of in quick order.

That would not have happened if you only would have purchased a top tier scope instead of
that Barska wanna be.

Send it in.

• Haha
Reactions: papershredder
There would be no point "just living with it" when you could send it in and the maker would have it fixed back to being perfect.

I can't really tell from the pictures but "bubbles in the glass" seems unlikely.
More likely would be lubrication coming out of place and getting onto the glass or a problem with a coating or such.

Either way you should get taken care of in quick order.
Looks like some thin assembly oil specks on the inside of the lens. Like you said, probably dislodged over time and that's where it stuck.

And I agree, being a TT, I'd damn-sure send it back in and have it fixed.

Last edited:
That would not have happened if you only would have purchased a top tier scope instead of
that Barska wanna be.

Send it in.
I think you are confusing Tangent Theta with Tract Toric...

Tangent Theta scopes are like $5,000-$7,000...

In before all the $6,000 scope owners start calling the OP a liar, even though he has photographic proof... 🤣😂🤣

Quite a long time ago there was an issues with some S&B scopes (none of the ones I owned) where there was a bad lot of grease and on some scopes the grease eventually dripped a bit onto one of the internal lenses.

S&B took care of everybody promptly and going forward the issue was resolved and didn't come up again.

I think you are confusing Tangent Theta with Tract Toric...

Tangent Theta scopes are like $5,000-$7,000...

LOL, no confusion here just sarcasm.

Send it in, it’s possibly grease, or maybe just debris that developed from recoil, just speculation of course. I’ve also seen this when a certain ring was used to a certain spec that stressed the tube. You don’t just live with a scope with $hit in it, I don’t anyway, and especially if it’s high $.

Actually looks like dust/debris and yes send it in!
Not dust or anything accumulated from the outside environment, I cleaned the lens, to be sure before making this thread. I'm leaning toward what @W54/XM-388 and others is thinking and maybe lube residue inside the tube splattered the inside of the lens. I'm well aware of Tangent's return policy and good customer support, so I have no problem with sending in. I may even have the turrets updated as well.

In before all the $6,000 scope owners start calling the OP a liar, even though he has photographic proof (welcome to The Hide!)... 🤣😂🤣
I could provide a lot more photographic and other evidence including a link to the sale thread I got it from. I ain't worried about that happening :ROFLMAO:

Looks like a consensus has been formed. Just Fk'n send it!

Send it in, it’s possibly grease, or maybe just debris that developed from recoil, just speculation of course. I’ve also seen this when a certain ring was used to a certain spec that stressed the tube. You don’t just live with a scope with $hit in it, I don’t anyway, and especially if it’s high $.
Ring or mount? And would that happen to be from ARC? It has been mounted in an M10 QD-L and now it's in an M-Brace mount.

Last edited:
Quite a long time ago there was an issues with some S&B scopes (none of the ones I owned) where there was a bad lot of grease and on some scopes the grease eventually dripped a bit onto one of the internal lenses.

S&B took care of everybody promptly and going forward the issue was resolved and didn't come up again.
Yep I had one of these, was about 2.5 week turn around to get mine fixed.

Dust and debris is common in any optic. It's the nature of the beast in a high magnification device. Even the tiniest spec magnified through a rifle scope can look like the dust particle that ate Tokyo!

So a tacky grease like substance is applied to the inside of the tube to capture those particulates, but it also sometimes gets on the lens.

All of that gets on the lens and is an easy fix for the manufacturer. Send it back.