• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Defender 6.5 CM 142 gr SMK Match Ammo

USMC 308

G14 Classified
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2003
Central TX
I tried a box of this in my stock Bergara LRP. The Hornady 140 gr ELD performed better.

I had the Bergara rebarreled with a Hawk Hill 27" 1/8 M40 contour with SAAMI chamber. Bought another box of the Defender 142 gr Sierra Match King ammunition to try in the new barrel. I've had great results with Defender .223 69gr SMK ammo in a JP gas gun and wanted to see how the new barrel liked the 6.5 CM Defender ammo.

Only 4 groups of 5 rounds fired but the Defender groups were all significantly tighter than the Hornady 140 gr ELD. I did not bust out my Chrony as I wasn't even sure it would group well enough to care about velocity. I'll order more from Defender and get some data soon.

BC of the 142 SMK is listed as .611 on Defenders website but Midway lists the BC as .595

If I decided to shoot the Defender ammo, would I be giving up distance and at what range would that start to appear.

I don't reload at all and just recently bought a Chrony so I'm definitely behind the curve on ammo/ballistics.

If the ES and SD of the Defender are better than the Hornady, that would be the way to go....right?

Thanks for any info/insight.

https://www.defenderammunition.com/...ts/products/6-5-creedmoor?variant=40621475988

Have you given the Hornady 147gr ELD a try? with a G1 BC ranging from .697 to .637 it will perform better at long range than either the 142gr SMK or the 140gr ELD.

Have you given the Hornady 147gr ELD a try? with a G1 BC ranging from .697 to .637 it will perform better at long range than either the 142gr SMK or the 140gr ELD.

Not in the new Hawk Hill barrel. That may be worth a try also. Thanks.