• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

dannyryan007

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2011
Washington State, USA
Why is so much of the defensive carry ammo out there steel cased? One of the pistols i carry concealed is a Kahr cw40. Kahr recommends not using steel cased ammo. Why, and why does it tend to be steel casing for defense ammo?

Re: Defensive ammo

This is what i bought for my G21, now i don't carry it but Underwood is good stuff. I haven't had any problems out of them. Well priced as well.

http://www.underwoodammo.com/40sandwp155graingolddotjacketedhollowpointboxof50.aspx
vzdatd.jpg

Are you confusing steel case with nickel?

steel case typically is lower end practice ammo, sometimes coated for help feeding.

The only steel cased ammo I know of is Wolf, and I've never seen steel cased .40 cal. I wouldn't worry

I like Gaurd Dog from Federal for CCW. It expands really well and should expand no matter what you hit. The idea being,
1. Good for stopping bad guys
2. If you miss and hit something else it would reduce it's potential for going threw and hitting someone you didnt intend on shooting.
Horandy's critical defense works the same way.

the critical defense is my preference in my 1911 and was my ammo for the 40, until i read the manufacturers website and got all confused. I then went to the FTX for the 40 because of the brass case, but, i'll probably just go back to the critical defense... idk
thoughts?

The casing never weighed into my choice of defensive ammo much. I just worry about the bullet and the velocity it is being launched at. Any top end defensive ammo is going to have high quality brass whether it is nickel plated or not.

The nickel is simply there to reduce friction and stand up to environment where moisture is more prevalent. As others have stated, any good brass cased/nickel plated JHP ammunition should serve you well. If it's a snub nose revolver, they've designed ammunition to reduce muzzle flash and bullets that expand properly at reduced velocities.

Number one consideration should be how it feeds and shoots from your firearm. Buy and try different brands and see how they shoot for feeding and accuracy. I have carried Federal Hydra-skok in my Kimber and XD. 45s. I recently switched to Corbon DPX in both. 45s and my Sign P238. It feeds flawlessly, is accurate, and has excellent expansion according to numerous tests I looked at on the web.
There are alot of law enforcement types on here so they would have better experience with stopping power than I.

Nickel is easier to feed and eject with the +P stuff like Speer Gold Dot +P, Winchester Ranger T +P bonded(That's what I use) and Federal HST +P.

Stick with the major players.
Winchester Rangers/PDX-1
Hornady CD/TAP
Remington GS Bonded
Speer Gold Dots
Corbon

Those are your premiums. I have yet to hear bad stuff about any of these. There are other "generic" JHP bullets. The Winchester white-box JHPs, for example, are better than FMJ for expansion, but not the most reliable or consistant in its expansion. I also like bonded jackets if its available.

Manufacturers don't like steel cases. Its beleived that steel case can cause excessive wear in the chambers. This would negate the warranty. I know people who have used them in the past, steel cases usually have a coating, or plating of some sort to minimize this. I have no idea to what extent this goes. I never shot steel cased ammo, never had the need to. I know you cant use it for reloading. I just wouldnt bother with it if the gun maker says dont use it. They have their reasons, its not something that can oppress your options.

I beg to differ, I've had numerous fail to fires with Remington golden sabers and have found Hornady critical defense to not expand reliably. Hornady put that plug in to fix a problem that was never a problem with a good hollow point, in other words a marketing scheme. Their XTP isn't bad but there is better.

I wouldn't trust my life to anything but Federal HST's (not hydrashocks or hishocks), Winchester Ranger T's, or Speer Gold Dots. IMO the HST's are the best of the best.