• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report Defensive ammo

Bob munden

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2012
Anybody know the difference between 45 acp remington golden sabre 230 gr and remington ultimate defense 230 gr both have sealed primers nickel plated brass and what looks to be identical bullets, remington shows the velocity to be identical also, but the ultimate defense are 22$ vs golden sabre 33$ the ultimate defense has 20 bullets and sabres 25???

I believe the ultimate defense rounds are just Golden Sabre rounds that are bonded. Never tested the ultimate defense rounds but I give the Golden Sabre a BIG thumbs down. From best to Worst through FBI test.

230 gr Gold Dot
230 gr HST
230 XTP
230 SXT
Golden Sabre
Critical Duty
Critical defense

Golden Sabre will kill anyone dead just like ball ammo, but the others performed better. My favorite load to carry is a handload with 230 XTP at 950 fps. It's a hot load and you want an 18# spring with a shock buff if you give it any kind of steady diet.

I just got in touch with remington they said the bthp means brass jacketed hollow point not bonded like I thought too, they said the difference was a flash suppressed powder was in the golden sabres, I tested both in low light out a 5" ed brown 1911 and both had equal muzzle flash, the only reason I'm gona test these out is cause it's the only thing in defensive ammo I can find in this bullshit city they call Chicago, I would rather use handloads also but from what I hear if you do get caught up in a sticky situation and use handloads it's another things any lawyers would want to use against you like ( this guy was looking for a fight he loaded his own more deadly ammo that can't be bought) I hope the day never comes where I need to use force but we live in a unstable world and don't want to give anyone more of a reason it was my fault for protecting my family and I, I agree there are MUCH better rounds for self defense but comes down to what I can find and test a lot of before it replaces my win rangers which have completly disapered, you also probably already know this but some 1911 are picky with hollow points, so I like to get as many boxes as I can afford to shoot to make sure the gun likes what it's fed, I haven't had any problems with the ed brown like some of the cheaper 1911s I have but would rather test as much as possible for my own state of mind knowing they will function 100% of the time! anymore posts welcomed cause im still trying to find out why these are cheaper than gs but if know one truly knows and there 10 +$ less I'm good with that!

Last edited: