• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Defensive Landscaping

Strangedays

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2009
    Tacoma Washington
    Planting tips for home security.

Many people don’t even consider their landscaping as a home defense. Long before the age of security systems plants have been used for securing homesteads, animals and property lines.
    Anyone who has ever been a gardener and felt the thorns of a barberry plant knows the plants natural self defense. This plants basic defense can be utilized into a home defense.

First story windows can be an enticing entrance for burglars. Placing thorny plants at this level is a great deterrent. (It also works to keep the troubled teen from using it as a midnight sneak out)
    One thing when planning a defensive landscape design is to also consider fire safety.
    If the plants make it harder for a criminal to get in, it also makes it harder for you to get out.
    A quick fix is always have a good fire safety plan.

Blankets thrown on the shrubs allow for a quick way around the thorns that are usually easy and accessible in a bedroom.
    Along fences especially within an alleyway,

use thorny hedges and shrubs to build a protective barrier around your fence or house. Keeps people out as well as most animals.
    Gates are a great place for a climbing rose, to keep intruders from climbing over. Keep all gates padlocked shut.

Planting columnar barberry next to each beam going up a deck prevents a possible climbing position. Defensive planting also allows you to utilize your landscape into herding criminals into your security camera zones. I recommend a security camera at every exterior door location. Make sure your doors have a good quality dead bolt, slider doors have a decent rod in place to keep them closed. French doors or front doors with weak glass on their sides make for an easy break in.

They are an attractive feature but add a safety vulnerability.
    You do not have to give up a beautiful landscaping for safety. Their are plenty of beautiful shrubs for year round appeal.

Roses, Barberry, Fuchsia, Hawthorn, Oregon Grape, Pyracantha, Holly and Crown of Thorns to name a few. All are good, protective, yet eye catching plants that add to any garden.

Know your own USDA Hardiness zone.

Use this link to find your zone and what grows best in your area.

https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

Going to a good well known local nursery will also be very beneficial. They can show you what plants they have that are a thorn variety and the sizes in which they grow.

Low voltage outdoor lighting can also add a lighted property that makes it tough for anyone to sneak onto you’re property without being seen. While adding an amazing highlight to any landscaping It also allows security cameras to pick up possible intruders easier.

With the new LED designs they are efficient and low cost to operate.

With some basic planning you can improve you’re home’s defense.

Within this short article I hope it at least starts the conversation of home defense.

“If you don’t build castles in the air you won’t build anything on the ground”

Victor Hugo

If blankets etc cover your plants for fire escape...they also work well for defeating them for a forced entry.

You wouldn't believe how quickly those little shitheads could cross a triple strand of concertina wire with nothing more than a blanket or cardboard in country.

Not saying a cactus garden is a bad thing, it might certainly deter an amateur that happened on your place. I'm just saying that it had better be one of many layers of security...and considered a minor one at that.

1617483484510.jpeg

I think I’m safe

it is not a good idea to place shrubs under or around windows and doorway, as they provide cover for unwanted entry. Houses that can provide obstructed views are easy targets for criminals.

If blankets etc cover your plants for fire escape...they also work well for defeating them for a forced entry.

You wouldn't believe how quickly those little shitheads could cross a triple strand of concertina wire with nothing more than a blanket or cardboard in country.

Not saying a cactus garden is a bad thing, it might certainly deter an amateur that happened on your place. I'm just saying that it had better be one of many layers of security...and considered a minor one at that.
    It is not a stand alone system just an addition to what everyone already has. I have a great guard dog and a pellet gun since I lost my other guns in a boating accident.

Not just no, but hell no!

Neva again.

I once lived with multiple stabby plats.

They’ll stab ya, sooner or later. Might be a kids or pets eye. Ain’t never doing that again.

Keep any of that stuff off of my property.

It will hurt you, way before a bad guy.

osage orange , devils walking stick and pyracantha bushes are all natural plants with crazy thorn coverage they were uses to herd cattle and if it ca stop a cow it will put a hurting on a dum ass kid that tries to pass it lol :giggle:
    1617517677074.png
    1617517716520.png
    1617517758339.png

Reactions: lash and stefan73
    well, the problem with thinking plants will protect you is I heard someone has something called tools. But that said poncirus and Chinese Holly are not fun

I just cut down the last thorn bush in my yard. Fuck those things.

What I do have is a reputation. Make sure they're more scared of you ventilating them than they want your TV.

Also, doesn't hurt to have a few $500 trucks outside, and the inside is 100x nicer than the wood siding with shitty paint would have you believe. They'll pick the neighbors brick house with the $80k truck and $100k camper in the driveway first.

I just cut down the last thorn bush in my yard. Fuck those things.

What I do have is a reputation. Make sure they're more scared of you ventilating them than they want your TV.

Also, doesn't hurt to have a few $500 trucks outside, and the inside is 100x nicer than the wood siding with shitty paint would have you believe. They'll pick the neighbors brick house with the $80k truck and $100k camper in the driveway first.
    I like my 2018 limited Ram. I also have the nicest looking lawn in the neighborhood. Not going to white trash it down with the ugly trucks, many of us don’t live in the ghetto or the white trash riviera.

Reactions: godofthunder
    Seems allot of you are missing the point. This is called crime control through environmental design. The whole concept is to make your house less inviting to a criminal than the houses around you. Things like the guy who has the alarm company signs up, visible security camera, dead bolts, lights on timers, no place to hide and take your time breaking in and yes thorny shrubs in the right places. You are not making it impenetrable just less inviting than your neighbors. It is a proven theory.

Reactions: Strangedays
    I like my 2018 limited Ram. I also have the nicest looking lawn in the neighborhood. Not going to white trash it down with the ugly trucks, many of us don’t live in the ghetto or the white trash riviera.

I live in a small town. I'm in a $200k house, while 2 blocks down there are $20k trailers, and there are $300k houses on the other end of the street. This street is 8 blocks long.
    Gated communities don't exist here.

Probably skews my views.

The $500 trucks are projects in the works. The nice rigs are inside the windowless garage. Shop has boxes piled by the windows to make it look full of junk also.

The nicer it looks from the street, the more appealing the target.

This is a very interesting thing you shared! I never thought about using plants and landscaping as an additional layer of security for homeowners. I'll definitely consider this idea as I'm planning to get landscaping installation done after I read about the how much it would most likely cost from ***link deleted***. Hopefully, my budget would still have enough room for the installation of thorny plants.
    Fuck off spammer.

Or just live on the shitty side of the tracks, cause all the thieves go to the other side of town to still shit, ain’t nothing funnier than your toddler sicking the dog on some methhead on a bicycle, and like that one cat said, reputation goes a long ways in small communitys.

My hood here in Central Texas is I guess what you'd call upper middle class, all stone and brick homes and about every-other neighbor is former mil and had Trump yard signs and several fly the Gadsden flag. I carry every f'n day so not too skeered......except for snakes. Come to think of it, one of those small flame throwers would be nice for snake patrol.

Every natural plant in Arizona has thorns, long thorns, or hair-fine barbed thorns which lock themselves into your flesh.
    I see your thorny plants and raise you the gympie gympie.

Reactions: The D
    The hedgerows were a pretty effective obstacle when our Soldiers fought through Normandy. Natural fencing.

Black locust tree thorns are poisonous and sharp, growing up to 2 inches in length. Black locust tree thorns are poisonous because they produce robin, a fairly strong phytotoxin. Ingesting black locust thorns, bark or leaves may cause colic, weakness, kidney failure, tachycardia and depression.

If you live in a climate that supports it. https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/most-dangerous-tree-/

Wow, I didn't even think about the fact that plants with thorns can protect your home! Thank you, friend, because I don't want to spend a lot of money to protect my house, because I already have a loan. However, I want to feel safe because many fools in this world want to do you harm! I'll call the landscaping company and ask them to do this all over my site. Firstly it will be beautiful, and secondly, it will be safe! I recently saw an ad about landscaping for you and your lawn, so I'll call them!
    Wow! Two spammers in one thread. I’m impressed.

Reactions: Redmanss
    I remember locking my keys in the house when I was a kid, and needing to go through the window in my bedroom. I distinctly remember thinking "This would be way easier if these damned thorny bushes weren't in the way." That said, it only took a couple of minutes to get in.

Reactions: lash
    The hedgerows were a pretty effective obstacle when our Soldiers fought through Normandy. Natural fencing.

Black locust tree thorns are poisonous and sharp, growing up to 2 inches in length. Black locust tree thorns are poisonous because they produce robin, a fairly strong phytotoxin. Ingesting black locust thorns, bark or leaves may cause colic, weakness, kidney failure, tachycardia and depression.

If you live in a climate that supports it. https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/most-dangerous-tree-/
    Honey Locust here. They are evil incarnate in tree form. Not poisionous but the thorns get to 8".
    309dd7ff63f43cab603fd8e0083adac1.jpg

Wow, I didn't even think about the fact that plants with thorns can protect your home! Thank you, friend, because I don't want to spend a lot of money to protect my house, because I already have a loan. However, I want to feel safe because many fools in this world want to do you harm! I'll call the landscaping company and ask them to do this all over my site. Firstly it will be beautiful, and secondly, it will be safe! I recently saw an ad about ***spam link deleted*** so I'll call them!
    You can fuck off too, fucking spammer.