• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Defensive Shooting Study

wtopace

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2009
Wylie, TX
Although the numbers might seem a bit off at points and I'm not 100% sure of how he conducted his sampling of the data he collected, it is definitely a good read! One point I got out of this article is that regardless of which caliber you choose to carry - the criminal generally loses his aggressiveness after one shot and is fully incapacitated in just a few, whether it is .22lr or .44 magnum (although, I find it hard to believe that anyone is tough enough to stay up through a .44 mag).

I received this in an email from a shooting buddy this weekend.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WB_S_FCkrYKJSkwJwubQoOA9kweMBlZtq_gI9lBUoms/edit?hl=en_US

Re: Defensive Shooting Study

Head shots = 75% immediate incapacitation

Just ask a dead Zombie.

Good read, but personally I would like to see/read all of the compiled data. There is a book if I remember correctly called "more guns, less crime" that delves pretty deep into privately owned firearms and how they consistently improve survival rates when carried. I hope a copy will find its way to me
cool.gif

As interesting as shooting studies and compiled data is, I don't think there will ever be a rock solid conclusion or consensus on what caliber is best for protection.

The demographics are so different between who carries certain calibers that I don't think it's possible.

I'm sure a high percentage of novice shooters carry a 25ACP to 380ACP over larger calibers.
LE and Military trained individuals will prefer a 9mm, 40, or 45ACP. This would result in higher death statistics with these calibers.
Most females do not carry 45ACP or larger calibers.
And any individual who carries a 44 Magnum will most likely be a male who idolizes either Clint Eastwood or John Wayne. This is a fact, lol.

That's an interesting read. What I got out of it pretty much tells me not much has changed in the last 75 years or so.

If one reads this article, then turn around and read Fairbirn & Sykes book "Shooting to Live, With one hand gun". 1942.

The two complement themselves.

Beats a lot of crap I've heard over the years.