• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Defensive shooting (Veteran steps in to help)

Daddyusmaximus

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 3, 2020
What say the Hide on this one...

This has a separate thread on this on another forum, but I'd like to see what member of The Hide thought. There's a lot of contention because the defender inserted himself into a 3 on 1 attack.

I know it seems like a pretty good self preservation tactic to keep out of a mess that's not of your making, but generally speaking, vets (the defender is a veteran) are a bit of a different crowd. Overall, I have observed that us veterans don't normally lose our sense of duty once we're out. We still have that "protector" gene built into us. That's why so many in law enforcement are veterans. Can't say if he saw the start of this whole fiasco, but once it did start... probably just the fact that it was 3 on 1 was enough to help him make his decision to step in, and help out. Weather he helped the right person or not... who knows. Hell, this could be a case of everybody being a bad guy.

All I can say is had I been there at the time, and saw 3 taking on 1, with little or no time to decide... it would be very hard to just stand by and watch it go down.
I'd feel like a POS going home to tell my story of how I saw 1 somebody, get killed by 3 somebody elses, and I did absolutely nothing to try, and stop it.
Probably not a good idea in todays liberal and very litigious society, but there you are.

One of the best quotes of all time.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing.

Whatever started the argument / fight, taking life to end it... is wrong.
Taking life to save life... less wrong.

Keep in mind... No judgement is gonna be 100%... but standing by doesn't solve anything.
You act on what info you have.

You see 3 guys trying to kill one guy. (NOT a good thing)
Makes sense to help out the target of the gang of 3.
That's a defense you can use in a court of law under what they like to say a "reasonable" person would do.

Thoughts?

• Haha
Reactions: wade2big
I'm a vet so I'll play.

I'm not getting involved in other people's fights. No way, no fucking how.

My freedom and my finances are worth too much to risk on someone who could have had the means and skills to defend himself or herself but chose not to because a) it won't happen to me b) the police will protect me c) guns are scary

If the fight looks like it will spill my way, that's a different story. But otherwise, not my circus.

What say the Hide on this one...

This has a separate thread on this on another forum, but I'd like to see what member of The Hide thought. There's a lot of contention because the defender inserted himself into a 3 on 1 attack.

I know it seems like a pretty good self preservation tactic to keep out of a mess that's not of your making, but generally speaking, vets (the defender is a veteran) are a bit of a different crowd. Overall, I have observed that us veterans don't normally lose our sense of duty once we're out. We still have that "protector" gene built into us. That's why so many in law enforcement are veterans. Can't say if he saw the start of this whole fiasco, but once it did start... probably just the fact that it was 3 on 1 was enough to help him make his decision to step in, and help out. Weather he helped the right person or not... who knows. Hell, this could be a case of everybody being a bad guy.

All I can say is had I been there at the time, and saw 3 taking on 1, with little or no time to decide... it would be very hard to just stand by and watch it go down.
I'd feel like a POS going home to tell my story of how I saw 1 somebody, get killed by 3 somebody elses, and I did absolutely nothing to try, and stop it.
Probably not a good idea in todays liberal and very litigious society, but there you are.

One of the best quotes of all time.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing.

Whatever started the argument / fight, taking life to end it... is wrong.
Taking life to save life... less wrong.

Keep in mind... No judgement is gonna be 100%... but standing by doesn't solve anything.
You act on what info you have.

You see 3 guys trying to kill one guy. (NOT a good thing)
Makes sense to help out the target of the gang of 3.
That's a defense you can use in a court of law under what they like to say a "reasonable" person would do.

Thoughts?

How do you know who the victim is?

Reactions: FatBoy and BCP
How do you know who the victim is?
Well, unless you saw the very beginning... you don't with 100% certainty, but when you see 3 people attacking 1... (especially in todays criminal society) it does give you a pretty damn good chance of getting it right under the legal "reasonable man" standard. How often are you gonna see 3 "good guys" attacking a single lone "bad guy" out of the blue?

Well, unless you saw the very beginning... you don't with 100% certainty, but when you see 3 people attacking 1... (especially in todays criminal society) it does give you a pretty damn good chance of getting it right under the legal "reasonable man" standard. How often are you gonna see 3 "good guys" attacking a single lone "bad guy" out of the blue?

In the linked article one of the perps is assertIng self defense claiming the dead guy pulled his gun first. For all you know these could have been undercover cops or bail recovery agents.

You run a serious risk to your own life and liberty by inserting yourself into a scenario like this. Might be the right call, might not be. Typically, and I say typically, 3 people attacking one person in this manner are not on the right side of the law. But there's a chance they are, and if you go in there guns blazing you could find yourself in a world of hurt. You'd better be damn sure you've read the situation correctly before making the decision to start shooting.

Situation. Downtown Memphis, Detroit, Chicago etc or BFE Iowa, TN, GA etc. Are you in a covered advantageous position? Is your family with you? Some things may make a difference in the decision. But voluntarily getting involved in a gun fight is not a good idea. Drug dealers come in all ages and demographics. Same with pedophiles. Who's to say which group is the bad ones.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
A few years ago me and a few buddies were crossing the street.....at a crosswalk....with a cross light

Dude come blasting through almost clipping us, so my buddy smacks the trunk of his car.

Dude stopped, and got out and tried to fight us...literally 1 dude trying to fight 3 guys...

Fortunately for him, once he got out and puffed up his chest, got in my buddies face...and realized he fucked up when none of us backed down and was 3 seconds away from getting his ass kicked...he got in his car and left with no issue.

Now if it came to blows, and some asshat "sheep dog" got out of his car, saw a 3 on 1 fight and started blasting me and my buddies, ide be pissed.

It turns out criminals make bad decisions.....criminals with big egos make worse decisions....

But let's go ahead and extrapolate...you see me and my buddies fighting this guy...you assume, well they must be the bad guys...are you really willing to live with killing 3 people because 1 guys ego prompted him to make a bad decisions?

Are you willing to risk jail time for murdering 3 innocent people because you assumed the situation?

Hell, if I pulled my gun, and justifiably defended myself from you.....are you willing to risk death because you assumed the scenario, and felt the need to insert yourself?

.....all for some guy who doesn't pay attention to the road and has a short temper?......
Remember... I said it would give you "a pretty damn good chance of getting it right" not a sure thing.
And before that I also said "unless you saw the very beginning... you don't with 100% certainty".

Jumping in anything is a risky thing.
Hard to weigh the pro's and cons unless you're Monday morning QB-ing it after the fact.

You could end up helping the wrong people.

You could end up allowing an innocent get killed by your inaction.

Like the song says... "If you choose not to decide... you still have made a choice".

Whatever the choice... you gotta live with it.