• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Defiance action bolt disassembly and finishing / coating

Alpha15

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2021
Louisiana
So there are two parts to my question / dilemma here. I have a raw Defiance Tenacity action. I've read as much as I can about Cerakote, black nitride, and DLC / Ionbond finishes.

My initial thought was to have the bolt only nitride finished and then the exterior of the action (and barrel) would be done in midnight bronze cerakote by someone like SAC or Beanland.....whoever builds it out for me. I want to avoid having cerakote built up on the raceways and internal of action.

Is this a stupid idea?

I contacted H&M directly and they will do it but want the bolt completely disassembled...which I'm not really comfortable doing. I contacted Area 419 and they no longer broker for nitride service. I contacted Bugholes and they would do it but their next batch to send off is months out.

I really liked the looks of black bolt and tan/brown/fde barreled action. How difficult is it to remove the bolt and what all parts should be sent to H&M? Firing pin too?

I'm getting a batch together to send to H&M in a week or two for my stuff. The bolt needs to be disassembled, including the handle removed. Don't send them any springs, as they can be damaged by the heat, and NO ALUMINUM. They also ask you not to send the firing pin unless you know what specific metal (4340/8620/1075/5160/etc) it is to prevent damage.

You also want the parts clean and most oil/grease removed.

The bolt is pretty easy to disassemble, though you probably want the ~$40 tool to do it if this is the first time for you.

My bolt is back at Defiance getting disassembled and prepped for nitride service. They will let me know what parts will get sent off for nitride and what won't. They have been very helpful so far...hopefully I get my parts back in just a few days.