• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Defiance AW cut / 40 degree/low taper cases (Ackley style)

ormandj

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
TX
Does anybody have (or willing to take) any pictures of the AW cut Defiance short action (specifically showing the feedramp from top/bottom if possible)? I’m building a new rifle and am concerned about 40 degree shoulder cases with less taper (such as the P.O. Ackley variants), and was curious if the AW cut would work well with them. I haven’t been able to find any pictures of the feed ramp to determine how this would work.

I’d love feedback on feeding of these types of cartridges from magazines, as well, especially if using one of these action cuts. I’d be using Accurate 300 WSM/6.5PRC DSSF binderless magazines. I’m nearing chambering time for a 7SS and am a little concerned. I can always do my own cartridge with a 37.5 or 35 degree shoulder for around the same cost, but if the 40 degree works well it’d be nice to not have to mess with modifying brass.

I don't have any pics handy but I have a aw cut deviant and have a Ackley cartridge barrel for it. It fed fine if an aics mag was used.

Reactions: ormandj
I don't have any pics handy but I have a aw cut deviant and have a Ackley cartridge barrel for it. It fed fine if an aics mag was used.
Thank you so much. What cartridge did you use? Are you happy with it?

7mm-08ai I enjoy it. It's pretty versatile.
Awesome, that’s what I was wondering. I’ve been considering something like that but ended up doing a 6.5 CM for my standard cartridge.

Awesome, that’s what I was wondering. I’ve been considering something like that but ended up doing a 6.5 CM for my standard cartridge.
That same action has barrels in 6mm creed, 6.5x47L and will probably get a 22 creed tube soon.

That same action has barrels in 6mm creed, 6.5x47L and will probably get a 22 creed tube soon.
Nice. Well, knowing it works well with 40 degree shoulder/low taper cases helps, that was my only major concern. Were you running Accurate mags or some other brand?

Accurate 300wsm mags. No binder plate 308 mags basically. I did tweak the feed lips a little but not much.

Accurate 300wsm mags. No binder plate 308 mags basically. I did tweak the feed lips a little but not much.
Exactly what I plan on using. Did you have to bend them inward some?

Exactly what I plan on using. Did you have to bend them inward some?
I'll be honest it's been so long I don't really remember. I do know that mag will run 22 & 6 creed, 6.5x47L, 6mm bra and 7mm in that defiance, a surgeon 591, bighorn tl3 and impact.

Reactions: ormandj