• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Defiance Deviant sheared bolt catch retaining pin

DedicatedShooter

Air Winger
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2010
NoVA
Shot a club match this morning and on the last stage (luckily) my bolt catch came flying out of the action as I cycled the bolt. Fortunately I recognized what happened and controlled the bolt well enough to finish the stage, cleaned it too. So that was a bonus.

I understand that these things happen and pieces parts will fail over time, however, I only have 229 rounds through this rifle (6mm Creed if you’re curious) and I’m surprised the retaining pin failed already. You can see in the pic below it was a clean shear and I didn’t have any issues unscrewing the portion that remained in the action.

I chalk it up to a bad pin and don’t fault Defiance or the smith (Robert Snyder) or anyone else. It’s a great rifle and a helluva shooter too. It’ll be a simple fix and it served as a lesson learned that I should probably get a good spare parts kit together for out of town matches.

I was just curious if anyone else had the same issue with their Deviant and at what round count it happened...let me know! Thanks.

** Looking at the pin again, I wonder if it wasn’t screwed in far enough to begin with, which would’ve placed all the stress on one part of the pin, right where it sheared. Maybe that’s what caused it 🧐

Attachments

• 58B9BC24-3FB5-4EF6-A350-41876142CEB2.jpeg
    58B9BC24-3FB5-4EF6-A350-41876142CEB2.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 50