• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Defiance Machine action questions

maladat

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
TX
Hello!
I called Defiance today to order a receiver and found out they're gone for a week and a half for SHOT and family visits. I'm trying to order a stock and rings and bases and I was hoping to get some information from the Hide on the actions.

Does their standard short action receiver exactly match a standard 700 inlet?

On their homepage, they also mention "a light-weight sheep action style" - is this the same receiver with the super-wide relieved hunting loading port and the short tang or something else entirely?

Do the receivers take standard Rem 700 bases or something else? Is it possible to put the Nightforce two-piece 20 MOA bases on one? Having a little trouble finding out what actions NF makes the bases for but I know they do 700 bases.

Thanks.

(My goal is a sub-9lb rifle with a 24-26" 260 #5 contour with a carbon fiber stock (~20 oz), PTG BDL bottom metal and March 3-24x42 FFP.)

Re: Defiance Machine action questions

The port length and dimensions will be different, depending on how you order it. It is best to talk with Glen first before ordering a stock, then you make sure the get it right.

They have a slightly different footprint than a Rem 700. If you have to order a stock, before talking with Glenn, get it inletted for a Templar Action. Should be a close match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmAM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The port length and dimensions will be different, depending on how you order it. It is best to talk with Glen first before ordering a stock, then you make sure the get it right. </div></div>Excellent advice. Plus Glen and Lisa are two of the nicest people in the world.

They will build you whatever you want as long as Glen thinks it is doable and safe. Keep in mind that he builds actions for other gunsmiths like GA(templar), so there should be a number of variations. Mine was built to RD precisions specs and it is nearly identical to an R700. Mcmillan had the inlet program for mine which varies only in the side bolt release, which is slightly below stock line. It was my understanding that the bolt stop was to be moved above stock line on future actions so the inlet would be identical.

Im happy with mine.

Oh also, standard R700 bases will not work. These are round receivers, so the rear mounting point is at the same height as the front(unlike remington). Seekins made my base.

Edited: i used the thin recoil lug instead of the thick. If you are using Mcm or manners, they just need the lug thickness.

Thanks everybody.

I guess I'll just wait - I can't remember now, I think the answering machine message said they're back on the 27th or so. I'm just impatient.
smile.gif

I wasn't thinking about the side bolt stop being different but that's easy enough to machine.

The Murphy Precision titanium bases/rings look pretty good. I want to get the heaviest barrel I can while keeping it under 9lbs all up (hunter-class silhouette match rules) and since I'm getting a heavyish scope for this type of rifle (23oz) every ounce I can save anywhere else will be helpful.

Nate Dagley is using a Defiance rcvr on my build and I ordered bases from S&K, 2 front remington bases, with enlarged holes for 8-40 screws.