• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

defiance mutant or rem 700 trued/ new bolt

long range newbie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2013
Oregon
I want to build a tubegun since I went down to gary eliseo's shop and just fell in love with his chassis and just have an urge to get one but I'm wondering should I go all out and get a defiance mutant? or get a rem 700 trued to be more in my price range? rem 700 trued with new bolt is 565 for new gun-150 for selling components off of it 415+167 for new bolt+ 250 for truing= $832 and mutant is 1000-1100 but I still need a trigger. I know the mutant will be smooth as glass and last a life time and also have resale value. or the pierce actions but I still don't know whats worth it.

Last edited:
go with the mutant, I did a 700 blueprinted build and while it shoots great, it doesn't the feel of a custom action as it is still a remy 700 action. for the dif in price, the feel is worth it.

I put together the RTM with the defiance and a .750 bolt. I have three barrels and bolt setups for the 338 norma, 7 wsm and a 260 rem. When I change barrels I've never had a POI change more than 1 moa. I've shot over 7000 rounds total counting all calibers and I cant remember having a miss feed. It doesn't matter if its dirty or wet it just runs. I use the short bottom and regular AICS 308 mags on the RTM for short action cartridges. If i had it to do over again I still wouldn't choose the Remington action.