• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Defiance Rebel Build

Nitrosteel

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2018
GA
Getting really close to sending my parts off to the gunsmith. Only a couple decisions left to make. Here’s where I am so far:

Defiance Rebel long action Melanite with 3 position safety/ spiral flute bolt.
Manners EH1 with BDL mini-chassis - Inlet for Bartlein 3b
24” Bartlein 3b .284 caliber 8.5 twist
Hawkins Precision BDL bottom metal
Talley lightweight mounts
Swarovski X5i 3.5-18x50
Chambering 284 Win

The remaining questions are all related to the barrel:

1). Which type of fluting will reduce the weight most (best balance)? I’ve been told the spiral flute would, but not crazy about how it looks - though I guess it would be fine. I think sometimes they look a little too “fancy”.
2). What type brake to put on for hunting purposes? Not crazy about the noise, but the more I consider this - the more I think it would be nice to have for seeing impacts.
3). I want to hunt with 160 grain accubonds (projecting around 2800 FPS), but I’d like to be able to shoot 180 Berger Hybrids at the range. I am still hung up on a bonded bullet for penetration. How should I have this chambered so that it will work with both - or should I just pick one and be happy? I wouldn’t plan on shooting an animal past 600 yards but want to be able to play some at the range (800) and I’m doubtful the accubonds will do well at that distance.

Thank y’all for your advice.

Looks like you got a nice build going....I’ll speak to a couple of the above:

1) Spiral flutes - not sure if they save more weight than equivalent length of straight flutes (it may depend on the # of straight flutes on the barrel) and width of either flute type but if done right, they look really cool (think PGW Timberwolf/Coyote). It’s also nice to have it go together with a spiral fluted bolt, which yours is.

2) any muzzle brake should work but fwiw, most of the hunting rifles I have seen have relatively slim brakes vs bulkier ones....perhaps use a suppressor if legal/feasible. Either should help you better spot your own shots/hits vs nothing at all.

3) your builder (or Hide gunsmiths) should be able to pick a good reamer for what you’re trying to do bullet wise, there may or may not be a trade off but I think those two bullets are similar enough that one reamer/chamber should work for either, depending on the load recipes for each respective bullet but more knowledgeable folks can confirm or deny that...

Just my .02

Last edited:
Got rifle back from Deep South Precision yesterday. Very pleased with their work and the timeframe in which they were able to get everything put together. Been feverishly working on loads and have some very good results. Here are some details on how the rifle ended up:

Rifle with scope mounted finished at 10.2 pounds with straight fluted 24” bartlein 3B barrel.

Getting 1.75” vertical group at 400 yards with 56 grains of H4831SC using 180 Berger Hybrid’s at .015 off the lands. Using necked up Lapua brass. Doesn’t seem to have any pressure signs and am getting an average of 2715 FPS and a low single digit SD. OAL is approximately 3.260. Pleasantly surprised by the velocity I’m getting and the accuracy is amazing.