• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Defiance ruckus extraction problem

MACJENSEN

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2020
Kelso, WA
Recently built my first comp rifle for prs. Components include Defiance Ruckus Tactical w/308 bolt face. It is also left handed. The barrel is a Proof prefit for the ruckus. 26” comp contour. Bought myself a barrel vise and an action wrench for the ruckus. Watched lots of videos and read a bunch before starting this project. Spun the barrel on no problems and torqued the combo to 80 ft/lbs. Looking all of the web people tend to vary which spec they use. They also always say to follow manufacturer torque spec but they are readily available. Checked with both go and no go gauges and everything is good. My problem that I am having is that the bolt is not extracting brass. One out of ten tries it will grab. The brass is virgin Alpha munitions OCD LRP. I’ve cleaned the bolt with solvent and re-lubed. Still no difference. I’m at a loss now. Anyone have a similar problem? All parts are brand new I’ll add. Hopefully I am missing something. Tried without chassis on as well(krg X-ray) and no difference. Any help is appreciated!

I'm assuming the Ruckus has an M16 style extractor. Does the extractor move freely? Remove the bolt and use a piece of brass and insert it into the bolt face and watch for the extractor grabbing the rim of the case. If this is good, check the counterbore of the chamber or the clearance of a case with the barrel removed. The brass extractor groove should be in the counterbore area. If the brass is too deep in the chamber the extractor won't grab it.

I'm assuming the Ruckus has an M16 style extractor. Does the extractor move freely? Remove the bolt and use a piece of brass and insert it into the bolt face and watch for the extractor grabbing the rim of the case. If this is good, check the counterbore of the chamber or the clearance of a case with the barrel removed. The brass extractor groove should be in the counterbore area. If the brass is too deep in the chamber the extractor won't grab it.
With the bolt out and pushing a piece of brass into the bolt face the claw of the extractor doesn’t want to grab when it’s flat but if it’s not 100% flat and angled toward the claw it will grab. Now I’ve noticed it is tearing up the brass in that exact spot. I don’t have any other brass to test but that will be my next move.

Reactions: iceng
Report back with your findings with other brass. You can always contact Defiance and they'll get you taken care of as well.

Reactions: iceng
Got home today. Spun the barrel back off to check the case in the barrel. Everything seemed good. Spun it back on and torqued it down to 85 ft/lbs. Checked go no go gauges again. Cleaned and lubed the bolt again. After it was all back together I ran some Federal match ammo through the mag. I started to notice while closing the bolt I could hear the ejector claw snap down on the case. I had to use some pressure while closing the bolt though otherwise it wouldn’t eject. Did this over and over and now it’s consistently ejecting...shot 6 rounds and all ejected without marks on the cases.

Pull barrel, put a piece of fired brass in chamber, and put your bolt onto the brass/ barrel recess. It should grab. If it doesn't, most likely extractor.

I suspect extractor claw, because I've seen it a few times. No issue, just put a new extractor in it. Defiance will hook you up, just show video / pics to clearly explain it.

The extractor is tearing up brass? Is it on the top inside of the rim or the bottom outside that getting tore up.
My thinking here is that when you say you can force it forward and have it work maybe the counter bore diameter isn’t wide enough and the extractor is scraping its way in displacing the rim material instead of sliding freely out and around the rim.

Take some actual measurements of the barrel counter bore diameter and depth and then of the bolt nose and depth.

Also, if you just put a case into the bolt face and rock it under the extractor, the extractor has enough space to accommodate the rim under it and it’s not cut short so that the case rims are too thick, are they?

Contact Cody at Defiance....
The same thing happened to me recently on a Deviant Tactical I bought from them.
I guess a few extractors got out the door that were out of spec. They were a little too thick and not allowing the the brass lip to be engaged by the extractor
... and therefore causing a fail to extract
They sent a new extractor to me immediately
It works great now
Good luck!

Talked to the great people at defiance and they sent me a new extractor. Just got it today. So I’ll be changing it tomorrow. I’ve been shooting the rifle in the meantime and it is much better now but still doesn’t extract every time. Getting ready for my first prs match. Load development is done. Shot out to 1130 yards today and working positions with the 22lr.