• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Defiance Ruckus

I tried looking it up but found nothing, if I had to guess it probably wouldn't have all of the added user options so they can offer it at a better price like the Tenacity.
Just a guess though.

Reactions: Defiance Machine
They have to compete with other precision actions which have more features. Competition on the market means the customer reaps the benefits.

Until recently, defiance required a smith to have the dimensions. Impact and lone peak upped the game with pre-fits and now their are actions with 60 degree bolt throws. Terminus and curtis can attach barrels with no vice needed. Those are a few advancements I can think of.

Reactions: NorthWesterner
Yes and no, I see the one piece bolt as a feature in it self. They do offer mechanical ejector in their elite models.

I didn't realize they had an action with mechanical ejection.
I think Tacticaldilhole pretty much nailed it though, better machinery with less steps in the process holding tighter tolerances.
I have a couple of Kelbly Tac actions and real like them but have been wanting a Defiance for a while now any of them I'm sure would put a smile on my face.
Lots of great choices from many different companies, more than I can keep up with.

As some have already noted, with the development of our newer bolt design that you've seen already on the Tenacity and the Elite, we are able to achieve the same desired quality but with fewer steps and less waste. We also won't be offering the Ruckus with quite as many possible customizations as our flagship Deviant. With some new machines, fewer steps, and less variations between models, we're able to offer a great action at a slightly reduced cost, with the tolerances everyone wants.

As some have already noted, with the development of our newer bolt design that you've seen already on the Tenacity and the Elite, we are able to achieve the same desired quality but with fewer steps and less waste. We also won't be offering the Ruckus with quite as many possible customizations as our flagship Deviant. With some new machines, fewer steps, and less variations between models, we're able to offer a great action at a slightly reduced cost, with the tolerances everyone wants.
Why no 3 lug options?

What’s the wait time on lefty magnum bolt face?

Since I didn't get here, quick enough to start the thread, and I'm sure Frank would appreciate it if we didn't start another...

DFM_2019_Ruckus_angle_9048.jpg

DFM_2019_Ruckus_front_8999(1).jpg
DFM_2019_Ruckus_left_9023(1).jpg
DFM_2019_Ruckus_right_9003.jpg

Ruckus: Defiance’s New Custom Optioned Platform with Guaranteed Headspace Consistency
– starting at $1230

The Ruckus action brings the benefits of Defiance’s growth and advancements to our customers. Machining to tighter tolerances with fewer operations, and many of the options that made our Deviant action a success. The Ruckus is the next action you need to build the best rifle you can.

*Available in Tactical, Hunter, GA Hunter, and Ultralight profile

Specifications

• Receiver made of pre-hardened aircraft certified 416 Stainless steel
  • One piece bolt machined in one operation enabling guaranteed headspace tolerance of +/-.001″
  • Bolt made of pre-hardened aircraft certified 4340 Chrome moly
  • Receiver barrel threads are 1.0625” X 16 T.P.I. (Rem. 700 thread dia. And pitch)
  • Integral mil spec 1913 (Picatinny) scope mount available in 0 and 20 MOA.
  • Most rigid design for ultimate accuracy
  • Works with detachable magazines, hinged floor plates, or single shots
  • Medium length (Rem. SA) offered with AW magazine cut
  • Actions available in Short, Medium, XM, and Long lengths to accommodate most popular factory chamberings and extended length hand loads
Manufacturing
  • All material pre-hardened prior to machining to prevent changing tolerances during heat treat.
  • Receiver machined from one piece of pre-hardened 416SS.
  • Wire EDM-cut, full-length lug ways result in smooth bolt operation.
  • One-piece bolt made of pre-hardened aircraft-certified 4340 chrome moly machined in one operation enabling headspace tolerance guarantee of +/-.001″
  • Primary extraction design significantly increases initial extraction and ensures smooth bolt cycling.
  • Bolt face diameters available for all standard and wildcat cartridges.
  • Extractors are M-16 type.
  • Designed, as well as detachable magazines and single shots.
  • Multiple magazine well cuts available for all of today’s popular magazine types including detachable boxes or single shot.
  • Standard footprint for ease of stock selection and off-the-shelf custom fit.
Pricing

SHORT ACTION (Model 7™ Length) – $1230
416R SS, 1.350” OD Receiver bottom, .700” Bolt, 4340 CM

MEDIUM ACTION (Model 700™ SA Length) – $1230
416R SS, 1.350” OD Receiver bottom, .700” Bolt, 4340 CM, .750” Bolt add $100

XM ACTION (Intermediate length) – $1230
416R SS, 1.350” OD receiver bottom, .700” Bolt, 4340 CM

LONG ACTION (Model 700™ LA Length) – $1280
416R SS, 1.350” OD Receiver bottom, .700” Bolt, 4340 CM, .750” Bolt add $100
(Extra bolt $275.00 complete with extractor, ejector, and fire control assembly)

*Not currently available in 3 position safety or controlled round feed with claw extractor and blade ejector

The Ruckus has a headspace guarantee, but the top of the line Deviant does not have a head space guarantee?
Curious about this as well. Was hoping they would also determine that Deviants by action length made within a certain past timeframe and going forward would also have a headspace guarantee.

Reactions: Bigrederic
Curious about this as well. Was hoping they would also determine that Deviants by action length made within a certain past timeframe and going forward would also have a headspace guarantee.
Just a guess, but I’m sure it’s due to the fact that the deviant has interchangeable bolt heads and the Ruckus doesn’t not ensuring that each one is exact.

Just a guess, but I’m sure it’s due to the fact that the deviant has interchangeable bolt heads and the Ruckus doesn’t not ensuring that each one is exact.
Valid point. Not interchangeable like a Bighorn per se, but they do have custom bolt nose options that would limit the ability to guarantee headspace on the Deviants across the board.

You're confusing requiring smiths to have the dimensions with offering highly customizable actions and variants.
When I said dimensions, I meant headspace so you could screw your own barrel on. So you're saying the Deviants didn't have as consistent headspace? I'm really confused.

When I said dimensions, I meant headspace so you could screw your own barrel on. So you're saying the Deviants didn't have as consistent headspace? I'm really confused.

We never said anything regarding the headspace on our Deviants. I responded to your statement that we required "dimensions," which I assumed you meant for the bolt and everything, and that simply isn't correct. Regarding our headspacing on the Deviants, because we offer so many variants and custom options, and the nature of how we machine them and the steps it takes, guaranteeing headspacing posed difficulties as bolts transitioned through various steps to achieve that higher level of customization. At Defiance we are always looking for ways to improve our manufacturing process, so that we can continue to innovate and improve our products without increasing cost to our customers. One of the ways that we have done that is the purchase of three new machining centers. These large machines are cutting edge technology and allow us to machine bolts and receivers in far fewer operations, holding closer tolerances on certain dimensions. From that, we’re able to maintain consistency of headspace to +/- .001" on some of our actions now.

What about us lefty's ?
Defiance has always been kind to the lefty crowd. We aren’t getting left out. Looks like now I have another excuse to upgrade my trusty old war pony from a Nesika to a ruckus. This couldn’t come at a better time as I’ve been stressing out over what action I wanted without breaking the bank. Unlike 15 years ago lefty options in custom actions today is excellent.

Team Defiance,

About 8K rounds in a lot of conditions on my Deviant and still my favorite....never let me down.

Agree you have all been very lefty friendly! Will the Ruckus be avail left bolt/right eject?

(For the rest of us--lets not derail this into the good/bad of this configuration discussion).

Cheers
ZY

Last edited:
GREAT! I'm really glad to see Defiance is stepping up to the plate and getting actions out for the market that is demanding prefits.

We'll do prefits as well. I'm looking to get my hands on the action or tenon print as we speak.
If we can get a print today we'll have prefits available for built-to-order inside of a week and on-the-shelf options will be before the end of January.

Anyone interested in putting together a group buy for barrels on it we can discuss, I don't want to completely hijack the thread though.