• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Defiance xm action

Andrew07

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2018
I’m looking for info on the xm length action. Mainly wanting to know if the xm action will fit in a short action stock or does it have to be specifically cut for the xm and bottom metal.

It will not fit in a short action footprint... needs its own inlet. Action screw spacing is different. I am putting a 300 WSM together on a Defiance XM, have all the parts just need to bed it and start load work.

Reactions: Defiance Machine
What kind of stock are you using? Where did you get it from and how long was the wait? I’m having a hard time finding a action and a stock to fit it

I have two mediums from Lone Peak so I already had a little direction. For the Defiance XM I used a McMillan Edge fill and a BDM from Hawkins Precision. Same as I did on my Lone Peaks, all parties were so good to work with I didn’t feel to change. I think Hawkins has prints to Manners to. I already had a stock on order from McMillan when I purchased the XM from Defiance last year, so as soon as the inlet was ready from Hawkins, McMillan did it up and sent it. I wouldn't dare guess on a lead time.

I talked to APA, they just released their BDM this week for the XM; my understanding is Manners and McMillan have the inlet for it.

MPA has an inlet for their chassis but I wanted it in a stock. So I don’t know a lot about their lead times and options.

I want to go with a mannners stock but the wait is just so long. So your saying that Hawkins makes a bottom metal for lone peak xm action that lets you run detachable mags? I thought defiance was the only one who had that. Which action do you like more the lone peak or defiance?

Hawkins has BDM for detachable mags for both the Lone Peak Medium and the Defiance XM. My buddy and I both did Lone Peaks and we ended up getting the BDL for when we wanted more of a flush feel and BDM for mags for the rest of the time. Neither of us have put the BDLs back on and we have been mag feeding them for almost a year now... even in hunting situations. (I would have to look at my notes when the BDM's came for the Lone Peaks, but I am ""guessing"" August or September of `18).

So Lone Peak vs. Defiance is tuff. I am partial to the Lone Peak as they are local here and just good guys to work with. AND my first custom action was a Defiance and so I am partial to it to. My Defiances and Lone Peaks all shoot better than my abilities... and both are phenomenal quality. I don't' think you could go wrong with either! Same with Manners VS McMillan.... both are great!

Reactions: Defiance Machine
Hawkins has BDM for detachable mags for both the Lone Peak Medium and the Defiance XM. My buddy and I both did Lone Peaks and we ended up getting the BDL for when we wanted more of a flush feel and BDM for mags for the rest of the time. Neither of us have put the BDLs back on and we have been mag feeding them for almost a year now... even in hunting situations. (I would have to look at my notes when the BDM's came for the Lone Peaks, but I am ""guessing"" August or September of `18).

So Lone Peak vs. Defiance is tuff. I am partial to the Lone Peak as they are local here and just good guys to work with. AND my first custom action was a Defiance and so I am partial to it to. My Defiances and Lone Peaks all shoot better than my abilities... and both are phenomenal quality. I don't' think you could go wrong with either! Same with Manners VS McMillan.... both are great!

What magazines are you running on the lone peak builds? Just assembled my XM build tonight and the magazines (MDT) are not seating to “lock” in the bottom metal.

Appears that the magazines do not match the bottom port of the action, as there is contact in the rear with the action. The last 0.0625” (1/16”) is needed to feed onto the ramp vs the face of the lug ring.

Seems that little to nobody runs a DBM setup on an XM/Medium action...

Attachments

• C2B1BA6F-CA8D-4A95-A74C-71AEE8C6F002.jpeg
    C2B1BA6F-CA8D-4A95-A74C-71AEE8C6F002.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 1823C71A-F372-4A39-8149-3C7C5864E312.jpeg
    1823C71A-F372-4A39-8149-3C7C5864E312.jpeg
    302.1 KB · Views: 144
What magazines are you running on the lone peak builds? Just assembled my XM build tonight and the magazines (MDT) are not seating to “lock” in the bottom metal.

Appears that the magazines do not match the bottom port of the action, as there is contact in the rear with the action. The last 0.0625” (1/16”) is needed to feed onto the ramp vs the face of the lug ring.

Seems that little to nobody runs a DBM setup on an XM/Medium action...

Update:

Glen, Cody, and team at Defiance reached out to me and straightened out the issue. Total time without rifle under 48 hours. Problem solved.

@zandnubbz how is the lockup on the XM mags with the Hawkins bottom metal? My APA setup has a small amount of play, which seems a result of the low profile design. There isn’t a functional impact, it just makes a little bit of a rattle when the mag is fully seated. It looks like the Hawkins would have inherently better lateral support.