• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Define Sitting, Kneeling, etc. in Competition?

Lucks

Team Roberts Precision
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2009
Central Texas
I am very new to shooting competitions. In fact, I have only attended 3 matches previously. These matches where all tactical precision rifle (sniper) type matches. My question is simply how do most competitions define shooting Kneeling, Sitting, Standing, etc.

I would define sitting as butt must be on ground.
I would define kneeling as butt can't be on ground.
I would define standing as well....standing!
--is it that simple or our there typically more guidelines than that?

The reason I ask is that I have seen some very unique (and effective) shooting positions that I would have never thought of, and if I had thought of it, I'm not sure I would have believed that it would be accepted in competition. For example, I went to a shoot in Louisiana a while back and some of the guys when shooting "sitting" would lay their rifle across their lap on shooting bags, put the rifle stock in the crook of their arm and look upside down through the top of their scope to shoot. Then in "kneeling" I saw guys on their knees wearing their backpacks backwards on their chests for a rest. I also saw bipods on knees and toes... is all this stuff generally accepted or is a more traditional sitting, kneeling, etc. stance ever demanded at tactical competition.
Thanks for the input...

Re: Define Sitting, Kneeling, etc. in Competition?

There is no governing body for rules of the sport. What is permitted in a match is permitted at the discretion of the match director.

I shot the sitting stage of the Terry Cross/Jim Clark match sitting, using a sling. I saw others who sat on the ground, extended the bi-pod legs and rested the bi-pod legs on the insides of their boots. Because the bi-pod legs didn't touch the ground it was still considered a 'sitting' position because the directions given were only that your butt had to touch the ground.

Of course, that position was much more stable than mine and as a result many people who shot it that way cleaned the stage. Good for them. Next time I'll ask how far I can push the rules before I begin a stage.

That's one way the sport is evolving: pushing the rules that way developed the sport of IPSC for most of the 1980's.

When it comes to a 'tactical' shoot, I'm generally opposed to even trying to define a position for a stage. My approach would be to design the stage with some sort of obstacle to overcome, with the provision that the muzzle must not extend beyond the obstacle itself. This would follow the general dictum of firing from a concealed position, just laying out in a normal prone fully exposed to the targets on the left side of a wall would clearly be a violation

Barricades, with or without windows or loopholes, fencing, vehicles and the like will dictate the position of the rifle, how the shooter holds it there is his problem to solve.

I do have an additional requirement, that all competitors carry all their equipment to every stage and they are not allowed to off load or add any gear during the shoot.

After that, it's all fair. If you can gimmick up some way to steady the rifle and make the shot in the time permitted, more power to you.

Totally agree. I would think that rules in tactical shooting would not progress the skill. How many "tricks" will be learned and then used effectively in the field. To me it is a win win when a clever shooter discovers some new way to shoot more effectively.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoryT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When it comes to a 'tactical' shoot, I'm generally opposed to even trying to define a position for a stage. My approach would be to design the stage with some sort of obstacle to overcome, with the provision that the muzzle must not extend beyond the obstacle itself. This would follow the general dictum of firing from a concealed position, just laying out in a normal prone fully exposed to the targets on the left side of a wall would clearly be a violation

Barricades, with or without windows or loopholes, fencing, vehicles and the like will dictate the position of the rifle, how the shooter holds it there is his problem to solve.

I do have an additional requirement, that all competitors carry all their equipment to every stage and they are not allowed to off load or add any gear during the shoot.

After that, it's all fair. If you can gimmick up some way to steady the rifle and make the shot in the time permitted, more power to you.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoryT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I agree this is the way it should be. These competitions are designed to simulate real life scenerios. In the real world, if you ain't got it with you when you need it, then you're just shit outta luck ..... and if you want to have it with you when you need it, then you had better carry it with you all day long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should see Tubb in the sitting position. Looks more like prone for most people. </div></div>
Took the words right out of my mouth.

I think service rifle match's are the only ones with strict guide lines on shooting positions.

I agree with Corey. For "tactical" matches the stage should be designed to force the shooter to use a position or get creative.

However I do still love to use "traditional" prone, sitting and kneeling. I absolutely hate offhand, but I still practice it.

In tactical competitions each position is designed to shoot with some sort of barrier to overcome. In a NRA sanctioned competition such as high power shooting each position is specifically defined. There are three positions. Standing, three variations of sitting, and prone. NRA rules dictate how each will be used.

Sitting = beer n a smoke

Kneeling = praying to wind gods, asking they pity me

Jokin
Firstly any timed match makes it more like 3gun
Yep i hate timed matchs, points should be scored, as rounds expended ...emphasizes on precision not speed
AR and pistol well thats different

best bet use online training