• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Definition of "Processed" ?

03psd

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2006
Oklahoma
I bought a bunch of .223 brass that was advertised as "processed 1x fired". I asked if it had been swaged and was told "yes, it was ready to load". Well upon delivery and inspection it clearly has been deprimed, resized, swaged and tumbled clean. It also appears to have been trimmed to length. What definetly hasnt been done is deburring or chamfering. The mouths show no sign of any bevel and most cases have burrs. I am new to reloading .223 and for gas guns so I dont know if deburring and chamfering are a part of reloading for them or not like they are for bolt guns. I didnt specifically ask if they had been deburred and chamfered but was told they were "ready to load". Maybe my definition of processed needs recalibration for gas guns. If so please let me know.

I've purchased processed brass and processed it myself. I've never seen it chamfered and deburred. I'm loading .223 primarily as bulk ammo on a Dillon 650. For plinking, rapid fire, and all around fun I'm not loading sub MOA ammo. As such I don't even bother to clean primer pockets or chamfer/deburr. If I'm loading match grade ammo I'll do all steps, weigh each charge, and load on a single stage.

It really depends on what your goals are and what type of shooting you're going to be doing. Learning to live with an acceptable level of accuracy for certain ammo or guns has made my life a lot easier.

Reactions: 03psd
I've purchased processed brass and processed it myself. I've never seen it chamfered and deburred. I'm loading .223 primarily as bulk ammo on a Dillon 650. For plinking, rapid fire, and all around fun I'm not loading sub MOA ammo. As such I don't even bother to clean primer pockets or chamfer/deburr. If I'm loading match grade ammo I'll do all steps, weigh each charge, and load on a single stage.

It really depends on what your goals are and what type of shooting you're going to be doing. Learning to live with an acceptable level of accuracy for certain ammo or guns has made my life a lot easier.

Thanks Aggro-

I am loading for accuracy and because I enjoy it. I am not a competitor but just like seeing if I can do better then factory match, which I typically can. I dont know if .223 brass stretches like .308 for example or it it even needs to be trimmed. If it doesnt need trimmed then I guess theres no reason to debur but if it has been trimmed, like I believe the bunch I got was, then i would think you would need to clean up the cut edges, right? Couldnt the burrs otherwise casue issues seating and possible pressure upon firing?

If loading for accuracy I'd do everything. I don't really shoot any of my ARs for accuracy but I have and if I do I do the same process I do on .308/6.5/.338.

Essentially: deprime, throw in tumbler, size, throw back in tumbler, clean and uniform primer pockets, trim, chamfer/deburr, prime, throw charge, seat bullet, shoot.

I use the WFT trimmers and it's easier to just put every piece of brass in to see if it needs to be trimmed. It's the fastest part of the reloading process. I also use the Lyman case prep center for primer pockets and chamfer/deburr. It's comparable to the RCBS unit but it comes with the tools for large and small primer pockets.