• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Deformed shoulder, Safe?

Ro_Bird

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2011
Seattle, WA
So here is the deal, I got tired of paying for match ammo and figured I could do better anyways. I've been loading .223 now for a few weeks, started out only using virgin brass. After great success last week I decided to throw together some loads using once fired LC brass.

It seemed to all work out until I was inspecting my final product when I noticed there seemed to be a slight deformation right at the start of the shoulder. It seems my resizing die was not properly adjusted and created a small "ridge". It was very subtle but of course when I placed the round into the chamber and slowly eased the bolt forward it would not fully lock. When I allowed the bolt to slam forward (AR15) the bolt was able to lock. After removing and inspecting the round it appears the force of the bolt slamming forward was enough to re-size the brass against the chamber.

So my question is, is this unsafe to fire? What would have happen if I had not caught these on my final inspection and taken these to the range and fired them? My thinking is if the bolt is able to lock, then it has obtained proper head spacing and you are good to go. I've fire brass before that were deformed, mostly large dents but never quite like this. However the safety minded devil on my shoulder seems to think this might create some unsafe pressures. Its only 10 rounds so no big loss to me.

Here some pics (hopefully), the ridge is very subtle but noticeable when compared to the virgin Lapua brass.

(edit: damn computers, I'll see if I can't get the photos up later.)

Re: Deformed shoulder, Safe?

It looks like to me that you have pushed the neck and shoulder down and created this ridge.

I had the same proble once with 308 brass that I over annealed. That isn't likely your problem here.

How about your seating die? How far down did you turn it? It might well be that you cranked it down way past the point of crimping and buckled the shoulders.

As for shooting them, better safe in my mind. For ten rounds, I would pull them and reclaim powder and bullets.

Good Luck,

Yup. Your crimping die is set too much. I had this same problem when I first started reloading. Your crimping it before your handle is fully down. So when you get to that point your no longer seating the bullet, but pushing down on the entire neck and shoulder of the case.

Hmmm, you guys are correct. Just re-sized another piece of LC brass and inspected it, no ridge. Has to be happen while seating. Guess I'll have to re-adjust the die.

Thanks guys.

RoBird,

Just a heads up here, but you're starting in the deep end of the pool here; reloading for ARs, or any other gas operated semi-autos, is definately advanced handloading. If this is your first step into reloading for metallics, a bolt gun would be a better place to start. Bolt guns are a lot more forgiving, and there's several minefields you can get into with gas guns. Watch your step, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Avoid over crimping issues by crimping as a separate step. Back off the seater die and adjust for bullet seat only. If you want to use the same die to crimp, back off the seating stem and adjust the die for the correct crimp.

Better yet, invest in a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Super easy to set up and use. $12 at Midway and one of the best investments when loading for .223, right along with a case gauge.

Does one have to crimp ar rounds? I ran my first 75 through the other day with no issues minus they seemed to eject more forward of the shooter than the wolf rounds we were using...

The answer is no, but, it gives an added safety feature just in case.
Ar's firing is a somewhat violent process, shit happens fast..
I don't crimp much anymore.

Your cases were landing farther forward because they weren't as hot as the Wolf.

That is what I figured. I loaded them middle of the road from my Hornady book.

Just like verifying what I see with what I thought was happening..