• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

deforming .45 ACP cases w/550b

long-shot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2003
Missouri
This is my first attempt at pistol reloading so I have no doubt it's something stupid. I am reloading .45 ACP on a Dillon 550 using RCBS dies that a buddy let me borrow because I couldn't find any dies.

I resize the case, and it fit the cyclinder of my S&W 625. I then move them to power/belling and then to bullet seating. I'm getting a lot of bullets that are sideways in the seater, but even those that aren't don't always feed into my chamber. I then crimp, and only 1 in 5 actually fit the cyclinder.

I've been reloading rifle for years so I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to reloading but obviously I'm doing something wrong here.

My first guess is the dies I'm using aren't new and may not be intended or adjusted properly.

I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

jeff

Re: deforming .45 ACP cases w/550b

Might try a little more bell to help align the bullet.
Also some seater dies (Dillon) have a reversable seater stem to better match the bullet. Check to see if yours does. If it does flip it and try the other side.

Does your seater remove any of the bell or is it all up to the taper crimp die?

Dillon dies are the shitzit for dillon presses.

Sounds like you need to tweak the bullet seating step with no more bell than necessary, and then taper crimp the same way-No more than necessary. If the bullet will barely sit on the bell and ease into the case as you raise the die you are good. More bell than that shortens case life. Guide them into the case between your thumb and finger into the die... <span style="font-size: 17pt">WAIT</span> are you using the case feeder now available for the 550? I can't help you there though it is surely an adjustment issue.

Likewise if you over crimp you'll deform the case to where it won't chamber. start at a little, try it for fit and keep going till you nail it. Got a .45acp case guage?

I had this exact same problem when I first started reloading pistol. Your crimp die is screwed in too far and you are overcrimping and squashing the case slightly sideways. Back off the amount of crimp and you will be fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long-shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is my first attempt at pistol reloading so I have no doubt it's something stupid. I am reloading .45 ACP on a Dillon 550 using RCBS dies that a buddy let me borrow because I couldn't find any dies.

I resize the case, and it fit the cyclinder of my S&W 625. I then move them to power/belling and then to bullet seating. I'm getting a lot of bullets that are sideways in the seater, but even those that aren't don't always feed into my chamber. I then crimp, and only 1 in 5 actually fit the cyclinder.

I've been reloading rifle for years so I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to reloading but obviously I'm doing something wrong here.

My first guess is the dies I'm using aren't new and may not be intended or adjusted properly.

I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

jeff </div></div>

+1 on the lee factory crimp. It has a carbide resizer in it. Just run the crimp down until you get a very slight crimp right at the end of the case.

Most reloading problems on 45acp come on autoloaders. I do not think I have ever had a problem with any 45 reload in my 625 ther than when I do not run federal primers.

Your buddies dies are likely set for his press. Start from scratch and adjust the dies. See if you can measure some factory rounds right at the bullet juncture and then some of your reloads.