• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Degreasers

blaserman33

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2011
Phoenix,AZ
I am planning to do some Cerakoting and was wondering if anyone could reccomend what they use to degrease? And has anyone coated any plastic parts? Brownells says that for plastic/polymer pieces a 200 degree 2 hour cure is adequate, will most parts hold up at that temp? When doing plastics should you still soak in a degreaser?

Re: Degreasers

I have tried a lot of differnet cleaners, from water based to brake parts cleaner.

Most good quality plastic parts such as MagPul and similar can be soaked in brake cleaner or Acetone. I have one tank with brake parts cleaner for AK's and greasy dirty parts, one with acetone I use for most parts and one with Slip 725, which is water based for stuff that cant handle the acetone or brake parts cleaner.

For the majority of the plastic parts like AR furniture I soak in acetone, you then blast with aluminum oxide, blow the part off with air and pre-bake then blow off with air and coat.

Cerakote H-Series cures above 150 degrees and I run plastic parts between 180 and 200 for two hours.

Here is a pic of a coated plastic MagPul stock, grip and P-Mags done per the above process.

480_Red_Creek_Tactical_Apache_PTC_2.jpg

Hope this helps.

Re: Degreasers

I used to degrease the dynomometer at Kenworth in 1974 with detergent.

I would rather have a rust finish on a rifle than breath Acetone, Lacquer thinner, touline, MEK, brake cleaner, or any other poison.

I de grease things with simple green and a toothbrush, and then rinse with water.

300.JPG