• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Degreasing when mounting a scope

vandorbence

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2019
When mounting a riflescope to a picatinny rail, what pieces do you degrease? (base, screws, scope tube, inside of rings etc)
I would degrease everything to maximize the grip between parts and make the torque values more consistent, but I'm afraid of some rusting issues if I do so.
Where should I leave a light coat of oil, and where should I avoid it? (In my case it's a steel picatinny base with Seekins aluminum rings.)
Thank you for the answers! :)

91% iso alcohol / take mounts completely apart / throw whole pile into a container / cover with alcohol / wait 5 minutes / wipe down / pinch the screws in-between fingers and in the paper towel, screw in and out a couple of time on clean areas to get all the oil off / q-tip the screw holes / assemble.

Reactions: vandorbence
91% iso alcohol / take mounts completely apart / throw whole pile into a container / cover with alcohol / wait 5 minutes / wipe down / pinch the screws in-between fingers and in the paper towel, screw in and out a couple of time on clean areas to get all the oil off / q-tip the screw holes / assemble.
Thanks for the answer!
Corrosion won't be a problem with the fully degreased parts over the years?

Thanks for the answer!

Just carefully wipe down the exposed surfaces of the rings with a little CLP once and awhile and you shouldn’t have any trouble. I’ve never seen any rust form on any of my rings/mounts over the years

Thanks for the answer!

I am from OR, over the last 18 yrs I have shot a fair amount in the rain and snow, have shot Badger steel rings and have retired / repurposed / re-retired them (and others) no issues.

Reactions: vandorbence