• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Delrin bolt knobs

vaeevictiss

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2012
Virginia
So I've messed around with Delrin in the past, and I've wanted to make me a new bolt knob because my badger knob was...boring lol.

I ordered a stick of aluminum and another of black Delrin. I turned out one of aluminum and i think it looks pretty good.
e5yzytyj.jpg

Then i wanted to try out the Delrin. It was much easier to work with considering the crappy Bolton lathe we have at work. It as well came out decent (didn't put O rings on this one but I'm betting colored ones would be a nice accent)

sahenyby.jpg

The knurling doesn't come out right so I'll probably not do that again... My question is... Do you think people would actually buy a Delrin knob?

I mean the stuff is very strong and durable, plus a lot lighter. Already comes in black so no anodizing needed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yes, I do think they would. Furthermore, I think a lot of other "extras" could be made, no rust , light weight, etc. may have a large market. No need to engineer a bunch of new designs, most "designs" have been around a long time, they work well, just new lighter weight material. Hope you'll do well with this venture if you choose to pursue it! Good luck.

It would be fun to try, my only problem is making them consistent on a lathe with loose tolerances lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Used delrin quite a bit in the old aerospace eddy current inspection world and although the black delrin is great the brown delrin (more$) machines better and is considerably harder. If you are going to produce them you can also heat treat the brown delrin up a bit. It is about the color of a light dark earth.