• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dent below case shoulder

dukerugger25

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2017
Utah
I just finished full length sizing a hundred 300 PRC Brass (Hornady) and noticed a "dent/divot" on one side just below the shoulder. It is in the same spot on about 70 of the 100 brass. Any ideas what could be causing this? I cut one open and there is no discernible marks on the ID of the case, so the dent is on the outside only. The dent did not appear on resized ADG brass done at the same time.
20200328_051712.jpg
20200328_051626.jpg
20200328_051726.jpg

Is it new and unused brass or once fired? I’ve seen that when I had something stuck in my chamber.

I suppose it could also be from something stuck in your sizing die. It only takes a small grain of something like powder, brass flake or excess lube to do that.

Are your shoulder datum measurements the same on the Hornady as the ADG? What about OAL?

Could it be that the Hornady brass is longer, and you're just starting to crush the body during FL sizing?

May be stretch, but you never know.

If it's been fired (assuming so, since you mentioned FL sizing it), it's the dent from the ejector, smacking the case into the chamber wall as the neck clears the chamber neck upon extraction. It can also be caused when the case ejects, and smacks the receiver as it flips out of the ejection port.

Thanks for all the replies. It's been fired 1x.

I do not see it on ADG 1x fired brass, which is why I'm thinking it is not due to the chamber.

I fired 10 adg and 10 Hornady (verified no divot before firing) this morning and none showed divots post firing either. Will clean then and then size again later today to see what happens. Will also clean my sizing die like crazy.

Measuring headspace using a Hornady comparator (0.420), both are giving the same measurements. The Hornady brass is 0.005" longer overall length, only difference.

Reactions: Scrupplez
Had this same issue and it turned out to be some small piece of tumbling media in my dies. Interesting though that it’s not happening with ADG. Assuming because ADG is a thicker brass.

Second root cause identified, brass was smacking the parallax knob of the scope during ejection. I’m running an NX8 and it sits lower than the previous scope I had on the rifle. I put an O-Ring around the knob and this protects the brass.