• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dented shoulder brass from AR 10?

rmiked

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2023
Shot my Seekins SP10 (6.5 CM) today first time. Shot great IMO. The Hornady 140 ELDM and Hornady 129 American Whitetail both shot 3 shot groups of 7/8”. The Winchester 129 PP was 1.5” group. The rifle loaded, ejected, locked back and was properly gassed with cartridges flying in the 3-5 o’clock direction. I noticed all the brass is somewhat dented below the base of neck on shoulder. Being new to ARs I had heard about this. The ejected brass colliding with shell deflector causes this. I assume it’s normal for a gas gun? If you reload, pushing a case into a sizer die will confirm the exterior case dimensions. I don’t see the dent going away except due to pressure on next firing, then hitting the shell deflector again on the way out. Just size them and reload anyway?

Last edited:
BTW: I shot a 3 shot group of SIG Elite Hunter , 130 grain tipped. Group was 9/16”. I measured the cartridges. The Hornady 140 ELDM is 2.810” OACL. The SIG 130 is 2.825 and will fit in the magazine , feed fine. But I don’t think any longer cartridges will fit a Magpul Pmag. I only shot 17 rounds today, first time out. Just sighting in rifle and trying 4 different loads (factory). I would hunt with the Hornady 140 ELDM,Hornady American Whitetail 129 or the SIG 130 Elite Hunter. All under 1” groups at 100 yds for 3 shots. Never fired an AR before today. I like this rifle. Low recoil and accurate. The Nightforce NXS 2.5-20 is sweet also.

Reactions: bfoosh006
Oops, and Padom has reported, KAC and Larue LR/SR25 mags allow 2.871.

Expensive mags, but... "Built like a Tank"

And if you just want to spend money these work great.