• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Department issued me an M-14!!

LSOSGT1109

Demoted by the change
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2006
London, KY
My department received some M-14's from the military and just issued a few of them out. The one I got was made by H&R. They were orginially semi or full auto but were modified to be semi only before they got to us. We had to go qualify with them this week. Mine shot a 10 round group that measured about 4 inches at 100 yards. I didn't think that was too bad with the open sights. We were shooting M118 special ball ammo. The department has to keep them for 2 years then can sell them. The ATF told us they started out as machine guns so their still machine guns as far as they're concerned so whoever buys them will have to get a class 3 stamp, which I will be more than willing to do seeing that I'll probably be able to buy it for a couple of hundred bucks since the department doesn't have a dime in them. I'm pretty freakin excited!! I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Re: Department issued me an M-14!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSP446</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My department received some M-14's from the military and just issued a few of them out. The one I got was made by H&R. They were orginially semi or full auto but were modified to be semi only before they got to us. We had to go qualify with them this week. Mine shot a 10 round group that measured about 4 inches at 100 yards. I didn't think that was too bad with the open sights. We were shooting M118 special ball ammo. The department has to keep them for 2 years then can sell them. The ATF told us they started out as machine guns so their still machine guns as far as they're concerned so whoever buys them will have to get a class 3 stamp, which I will be more than willing to do seeing that I'll probably be able to buy it for a couple of hundred bucks since the department doesn't have a dime in them. I'm pretty freakin excited!! I'll post some pics tomorrow. </div></div>
Weather you can transfer them to you or not is dependent on the paperwork! I'd be willing to bet that is gonna be a tough transfer; especially so inexpensively!

We figured it wouldn't be so easy but the agent we talked to said they were transferable as long as the individual applied for the class 3 stamp. At any rate I've got about 10 more years before I can retire so it'll be mine for that long anyway. Now I just have to save up for a McMillan stock and some good glass. The trigger sucks, what can be done about that?

We have gov issued m-14's too, our dept has had them for several years didn't cost us a dime either! I personally think the trigger is great on them. Ours are kind of the shtf rifles in case we have a barricaded suspect or what not. We have one setup scoped with a supressor and shoots about 1-2 moa with 168 federal match, not bad for an old workhorse! Go to M-14forums to get info on sights triggers mounts and such. Everyone says to stay away from any type of aluminum base because the reciever will beat them to death over time. And hang on to your hat when you see what steel bases go for! Thier big and heavy for a patrol rifle but when the rounds start flying you can bet the big 7.62 will do the job!

Not to rain on your good fortune, but the M14's will be treated as Post 1986 MG's and only transfer to LE or a Dealer with a request for demo letter. The Govt was never required to register their F/A weapons so they are technically not on the NFA books.
I have never heard the 2 year and then they could be sold comment. Texas received M14's and issued them to Texas Rangers and some DPs officers. They have to go back to Austin if you lose your qual or retire and I was told they could not be sold, per your Uncle Sam. I tried.

First, many ATF field agents don't know dick about NFA regulations beyond what they need to know for their job. Some of ours will openly admit that.

Second, I would bet a large sum of money that your M14 will not be able to be transferred to a private individual. Much like the M16A1's that we get from time to time, they are not on the NFA registry and may only be possessed by Government Entities.

Enjoy it while you can, because when you retire it will go back to the Department or Uncle Sam.

Besides. If by any chance you did end up with actual transferables, when it comes time for your department to get rid of them they will most likely go to a class three dealer in trade for new hardware. He will get them for a song...

We were told ours could be modified however we like but they go back to uncle sam when we're done and can not be sold.

+1 on Bacon. We have about 8 M16A's and 6 M-14's. I took one of the 16's and made an SBR entry gun,it's nice. We were told the same, do whatever you want with them, but they are still ours, (US GOV.). We are required to turn them back in when we don't want them.