• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dept of Energy Colt 633 SMG

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    My NFA registered 9mm Colt 633 clone as used by the Department of Energy to guard Nuclear plants and shipments. This example is semi-auto only.

The weapon is select fire with a 3-position selector switch. The prototype model had ambidextrous controls, however, the production model lacked this feature. The weapon was 21 inches in overall length and had a 7 inch barrel. It weighed 5.9lbs and it’s sights were fixed to 50m. The R0633 fed from Uzi-pattern magazines, as do all Colt 9mm submachine guns.

The standard R0633 relies on a heavy bolt while the R0633HB used a hydraulic buffer system. In Black Rifle II Chris Bartocci notes that the R0633 was colloquially known as the ‘briefcase gun’ by Colt employees. The weapon was not made in large numbers and is no longer in production, however, it beat out the Heckler & Koch MP5Kto equip DOE nuclear power station guards

The Trijicon TA50-4 ACOG 3x24 dual illumination amber cross hair scope is a Government buy back and marked by the DOE with "DOE-SR" and the weird checkerboard pattern that I have yet to figure out the purpose of. The Kevlar helmet is mine that I had customized by cutting off the part that covers the shooting side ear and half that covers the offside ear. This allows for a cheek weld and better situational awareness. This led to the development of the MICH Kevlar and later complete cutouts for the ears.

I challenge anyone to provide a pic of this gun in actual use by the DOE.

DSCN6583.JPG
    DSCN6584.JPG

DSCN6585.JPG

DSCN6586.JPG

DSCN6587.JPG

DSCN6588.JPG

Last edited:
    Those (like the DEA Colt 9mm SMG) were not around very long.

I think it's been almost 35-40 years since some form of 5.56mm carbine has been the standard.

Random 15 year old PR film:

Reactions: camocorvette
    Those (like the DEA Colt 9mm SMG) were not around very long.

I think it's been almost 35-40 years since some form of 5.56mm carbine has been the standard.

Random 15 year old PR film:

About 23 years ago I shot against the Los Alamos Security Team at the Soldier of Fortune 3 Gun match in Raton NM. They were exceptional and won the team and high individual, if my memory doesn't fail me.

Reactions: ZG47A and sinister
    My NFA registered 9mm Colt 603 clone as used by the Department of Energy to guard Nuclear plants and shipments. This example is semi-auto only.

The weapon is select fire with a 3-position selector switch. The prototype model had ambidextrous controls, however, the production model lacked this feature. The weapon was 21 inches in overall length and had a 7 inch barrel. It weighed 5.9lbs and it’s sights were fixed to 50m. The R0633 fed from Uzi-pattern magazines, as do all Colt 9mm submachine guns.

The standard R0633 relies on a heavy bolt while the R0633HB used a hydraulic buffer system. In Black Rifle II Chris Bartocci notes that the R0633 was colloquially known as the ‘briefcase gun’ by Colt employees. The weapon was not made in large numbers and is no longer in production, however, it beat out the Heckler & Koch MP5Kto equip DOE nuclear power station guards

The Trijicon TA50-4 ACOG 3x24 dual illumination amber cross hair scope is a Government buy back and marked by the DOE with "DOE-SR" and the weird checkerboard pattern that I have yet to figure out the purpose of. The Kevlar helmet is mine that I had customized by cutting off the part that covers the shooting side ear and half that covers the offside ear. This allows for a cheek weld and better situational awareness. This led to the development of the MICH Kevlar and later complete cutouts for the ears.

View attachment 8102785View attachment 8102786

View attachment 8102787

View attachment 8102788

View attachment 8102790

View attachment 8102791
    Is the checkerboard IR reflective?

The SR most likely is for the savanna river site. The “fixed sites” do all kinds of weird crap to their weapons that don’t make sense. The “transport” teams never had any smgs, mostly we just had an assortment of long guns.
    Just coincidentally, my fellow 1st Armored Division Platoon Leader, best friend, and retired Colonel, is the Director - Infrastructure Services and Area Completion Project, U.S. Department of Energy at the Savannah site.

I shot the Colt 9mm SMG at Quantico during a DEA course. Very nice gun, but found an interesting feature -- if you drop a partially loaded magazine and it lands on hard-top, something about weight and inertia but it'll dump almost all the rounds out onto the ground.

I never liked the HK/Choate MP5K stock, and the Brugger and Thomet is a bulky bitch when side-folded.

This is Safety Harbor's KES -- kinda like an M3 Grease Gun stock:

DSC_1110.jpg

What is the value on the upper? I know they never show up. I see a complete gun sold for 125k but that just silly.

What is the value on the upper? I know they never show up. I see a complete gun sold for 125k but that just silly.
    It uses a stock M16a1 upper and lower. That being said, you pretty much have to buy an SP1 to get an upper and lower so that's a min of 2.5K just for an upper and lower receiver. The barrel, handguard, sights, shell deflector, and 9mm insert are another 1K. You still need a 9mm bolt, buffer, stock etc. For some reason mags are plentiful and $39 or less.

Reactions: PewPewToo
    A guy in my squad at Lethal Weapons match earlier this year absolutely wrecked with one of these things. It was fun to watch. My A1 for comparison.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230506_071403.jpg
      Screenshot_20230506_071403.jpg
      1.5 MB · Views: 266
    Reactions: camocorvette
    I shot the Colt 9mm SMG at Quantico during a DEA course. Very nice gun, but found an interesting feature -- if you drop a partially loaded magazine and it lands on hard-top, something about weight and inertia but it'll dump almost all the rounds out onto the ground.

I never liked the HK/Choate MP5K stock, and the Brugger and Thomet is a bulky bitch when side-folded.

This is Safety Harbor's KES -- kinda like an M3 Grease Gun stock:

DSC_1110.jpg

i need a safety harbor KES for my k-gun but they are out of stock. anyone know where i can get one?

also, i dont have a picture of my Colt 9mm SMG pattern but i used the LWRC compact stock on the end of it and a reddot on top, with a handguard that extends over the suppressor.

curious, and i am not at home to compare, but what are the real differences in the colt pattern mags and the MP5 mags? i assume mag latch cut-out? maybe geometry of the mag body?

Colt pattern used a straight UZI magazine.
    SP62858-2__61593.1663774422.jpg

H&K's magazine has a curve to it (while originals were straight they caused some feed problems).
    heckler-koch-hk-mp5-9mm-30rd-magazine-206349s_left.jpg
    Mags from the 9mm Tavor will work in the colt pattern guns too.

Just coincidentally, my fellow 1st Armored Division Platoon Leader, best friend, and retired Colonel, is the Director - Infrastructure Services and Area Completion Project, U.S. Department of Energy at the Savannah site.
    What's his name? I worked SRS SRT from 2008 to 2015.

The SR on the ACOG could be Savannah River, The non SRT officers had 3x ACOG on carry handles when I was there.

I started in DOE at the Strategic Petroleum Reserve in 2000....we shot SWAT round up in Orlando, and had to get MP5s from CTA in Albuquerque. I suggested next year we get Colt SMG, but...I left. I never saw an MP5 after that.

I worked at SandIa Labs and Savannah River Site, where old timers talked about MP5s...no one ever mentioned the Colt.
    At Sandia, we used Colt 9mm, IIRC they were 16", just for shoot house training, as the shoot house wasn't rated for 5.56, that changed soon after I got there.

I have seen pics of "couriers" from the 50s in suits, with M3 Grease Guns..

When I worked at a Nuclear Power Plant, it was regulated by the NRC, and the pro force just met the state armed guard standards..no mention was made of DOE. That was pre 9/11, from what I understand, DOE has taken more oversite since then.

Reactions: 1911hombre
    Does anyone know how much one of those acogs is worth?

Last edited:
    My NFA registered 9mm Colt 603 clone as used by the Department of Energy to guard Nuclear plants and shipments. This example is semi-auto only.

View attachment 8102785View attachment 8102786

View attachment 8102787

View attachment 8102788

View attachment 8102790

View attachment 8102791
    I know I’m late to the game, but how’s the sight picture on the c-more under the acog?

The SR most likely is for the savanna river site. The “fixed sites” do all kinds of weird crap to their weapons that don’t make sense. The “transport” teams never had any smgs, mostly we just had an assortment of long guns.
    You were an OO84? I shot a match with a dude last year who was a retired courier from AZ I think. Super nice guy.

When I worked for DOE, we mostly only saw the sensitive site contractors. They were armed and kitted out better than most of the ODA's at the time.

The courier life is a hard one. At one time I thought about it. For an actual LE type job, they probally get more training and shoot more often than many other fields. But its a hard life on the road, always TDY and away from family. For a young single guy, it would be awesome.

Reactions: CIB2007
    I could tell you stories about fix site weapons mods/choices, etc

You were an OO84? I shot a match with a dude last year who was a retired courier from AZ I think. Super nice guy.

When I worked for DOE, we mostly only saw the sensitive site contractors. They were armed and kitted out better than most of the ODA's at the time.

The courier life is a hard one. At one time I thought about it. For an actual LE type job, they probally get more training and shoot more often than many other fields. But it’s a hard life on the road, always TDY and away from family. For a young single guy, it would be awesome.
    Im still a courier, it’s a good job for what it is. It’s definitely not easy on your body. I have 7 years left before my 25 year mark and then I can move on to greener pastures. But we are always looking for people that want to come work with us on the agent side or as a contractor.

Here’s my factory original full auto Colt R0633 DOE SMG and a spare upper. I just picked up another spare upper and 2 20 round Colt SMG mags which are pretty rare. Indeed this variant has to be one of the rarest mainstream Colts you can get besides the LMG (mainstream meaning not experimental and one-off things). I got it about 6 years ago. It’s probably from John Keosayian “Colt CEO” collection. I haven’t bothered to do an FOIA on it.
    IMG_5636.jpeg