• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Depth Micrometer Error

AR-10 Shooter

Minuteman
Dec 1, 2004
Virginia
Gentlemen,

Many thanks for all your advice in the past. I have a B&S 607 that is .001 off. Should I live with the error or adjust the rod?

Many thanks,

CT

Re: Depth Micrometer Error

Is it a blade or cylinder depth mic? Also, is it a ratchet or friction stop?

Personally, I would clean the contact areas of the thimble and the rod nut and try it again. If it's still off, I would adjust it. But that's just me.

Are you tightening with the "ratcheting thingy" or the thimble. You can force a lot of error unless you use the ratchet. It is designed for consistent force for repeatability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AR-10 Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a B&S 607, rotating rod, ratching thingy.</div></div>

Clean it all up and recheck and if it is a 0-1 place on a flat surface like a surface plate and check and reset to zero. If it is a 1 thru 6 inch rod use the appropriate gage block stackup to inspect and reset. If you have No gage block set surely you know someone who is a machinist and might have these.

But on the other hand if you are not making parts to print and you use these on all parts then all your parts will be off the same and will still work..LOL

BUt it would drive me crazy and i would set them correctly.

Using the ratcheting thingy on a flat surface I get + .001. I field stripped it and drowned it in Hoppes and still get + .001.

Does anyone have the procedure for adjusting the rod?

CT

Do you know how to remove the "play" in the threads? That MAY be the +.001 you are seeing. BTDT
OH-you do NOT want to "drown-it" in ANY oil ever....
How is it you have these tools and know nut'en about'em?
Do you have any "hands-on" in "close spec." machine work?
Respectfully,
LG

I have a set of Lufkin's with 6 different lenght pins and it is pretty easy to zero when you take it apart I am just not that familiar with Browne and Sharpe

All adjust about the same...Just unscrew the ratchey thingy/// and the rod will slip out on the back of the rod there is a small nut and brase washer just loosen or tighten the nut just a little ontil it reades good....Yes and you might not want to fill will oil as it invites dirt and dust inside your TOOL and you know what dirt in the tool will do.

Starrett markets a very thin viscosity guage oil. That's the only thing I have ever used on mics. About 1 drop will last most of a life time. All you need to do is wipe everything off with a clean cloth before you put it up.

If I happened upon something that had been soaked in any kind of oil I would clean it inside and out with lighter fluid. Then put only PART of a drop of this light oil on the end of the threads before screwing the thimble back on it.

I have read where other people have went to the auto parts store and bought a -0- zero viscosity MOBIL 1 synthetic motor oil and used part of a drop for this purpose. The synthetic stuff isn't suppossed to gum up in cooler weather.

Glowworm hit it on the spot, unscrew the small ratchet side and slide the rod out, back the nut off and adjust the stop. Make sure to use a gage block as a surface to check zero. Victor N TN is right about the lube oil, any light weight oil will work 10/10 works great and just a drop, I have mics that I've had for many years and haven't had to oil them at all, The biggest problem that I've experienced is coolant from my machines getting in the threads, Keep them clean and they will work fine, A clean mic is a happy mic.
Good Luck!

Absolutly zero the mic, thats why the nut is there and haveing a mic that doenst read true is senceless. I use starretts lube its great for precision measuring tools and reloading tools as well.